GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend
    Blog Entries

i believe that is it... but it says chilton... sounds about right.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    They seem to be pretty heavy handed on this though, and pretty misguided, that sort of rubs me the wrong way.
    I agree with you and it rubs me the wrong was as well...that's why I wrote that long winded post, as it was meant for the Chiltons Marketing person who sent you the note - And I hope she reads it!!

However, I am in agreement with others and that is you don't need to be hassled and there probably is some legal/financial risk involved.

I think it should be pulled for now, wait to see their response (if they respond), and if they end up being okay with it, we can start a new thread.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I can't get to anything on any link in that thread. I'm in the dark I guess. Can someone explain to me what link they're fussing about and what harm is being done?
    Use the link in post #61 from that thread....that seems to be the only one working at this time. It will allow you to enter your vehicle information and subsequently take you to an electronic version of your respective Chiltons Manual.

The reason they are upset is because they sell the license to use their e-manuals and if we accessing from someone else's licensing rights, then they consider it a lost sale and/or decreasing the value of their product. If people can access them for free, then it makes it more difficult for them to collect licensing fees and sell their e-manuals.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Another vote for deletion. A couple of things I'd point out:

It's not like this is the only portal on the net to this information. As noted, most of these kinds of links are going through a public library somewhere. I would suggest that people check with their local public library to see if they have a subscription. If not, you can suggest they consider getting a subscription.

I would also point out that free version of Chilton's DIY manuals are available at autozone's website. You have to register, but the access is free.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I'm waiting to hear back from them actually.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I was not aware of this link prior to this thread. So, I wandered over there and checked out what they have for another vehicle that I work on often...an 86 Pontiac Fiero. I found their information completely useless. The wiring diagrams are too small to read, and only show the main power distribution and engine harness. The cradle (subframe) shows information for an 88 rather than an 86 (completely different design). I stopped looking at that point.

So...Rather than deleting the link...I vote that you suggest that they provide something worth stealing before accusing us of stealing it. Hmmm...I guess fiction can be copyrighted too...maybe it would be easier to just delete it.
    Everyone should own a Ford once in their life....how else can you truly appreciate a Chevy?

Im gonna agree with everyone else on the deleting of the thread, it is their own fault for making it so easy for some one to steal it and post it up here, there is no need for you to lose any financial stuff over it. I know people who swear by chilton and games manuals but me personally I've never owned either I go off of experience and others experience and we have a lot of that on the site.... its to bad they have to be so persistent on it.
    Go-Recon "xtreme" amber scanning tail gate light strip, Cobra ultra2 CB radio W/ 4 foot firestix antennas, dual exhaust with 40 series single in dual out muffler, 305/65R17 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ on 17 inch Mickey Thompson Side Biters, 3 inch body lift

"when the going gets tough the tough get cyclic:fighting0019:"
    "use the force luke:fighting0040:"

Delete it Steve as its not worth the trouble ,by the way i just ordered a HAYNES repair manual for my 09 Silverado
    [/SIGPIC]2009 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 EXT CAB 4X4 Vortec 4.8L SFI,K&N air filter,Weathertech Floor Liners ,Weathertech Stone/Bug Deflector, Line X Spray On Bedliner, TruXport Rollup Tonneau Cover, Molded Mudguards, Viper 5701 LE 2 way Security Alarm/Remote Starter, Xm Satelite Radio,BILSTEIN 5100 rear shocks,BILSTEIN 5100 front levelling shocks,READYLIFT 2" rear lift blocks,Goodyear Wrangler Territorys -265/70R 17"

If anything they could only sue the poster ..not this site ! They want to but would loose any claim !

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Blog Entries

Didn't the company BACKRACK try this same thing almost a year ago?
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

If anything, they should look at that as a "Look, people actually use our product on this site". Not, "Let's sue the forum because someone posted our link for our product". I don't understand that idea at all. If we find your link to be good and help full, I'll end up buying your book then.

Oh well, those books never have good details anyways. I use AllData at work if I want to look up something.

1995 Chevy Tahoe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12