GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default URGENT! Chilton's to sue GMTC auto forum over Posted Link?

As I have posted on here, we're facing a serious medical issue and I've not been keeping up with the site and my email very well for some time. I just got around to answering old email and something alarming popped up.

Backstory
    So, I guess a marketing manager for Chilton's has been trying to manage their products and keep things from being illegally copied and shared online, that's my speculation anyhow. That's cool, I respect that and wish them the best luck in going that. It's not easy and maybe it's a sign of an outdated business model, but I digress.

This person (I have not verified if they are really employed for Chilton's or not) has contacted me asking me to remove this thread due to "giving away free content."

As far as I know, there is nothing in that thread, or the rest of the site, that is a violation of any copyright laws. Am I missing something? Someone posted a link to a library or something, if so then they have a problem with the other website, NOT GMTC. I'm not really even aware of what these links are or what they do.

What to do now?
    So, I just today reponded back today asking for more information and clarity on their request, and I would certainly link to know what laws are being violated by GMTC on this issue.

Just be aware that it's possible that forums like this can and do get sued from time to time and this can be very expensive, so I'm just trying to be prepared for all options here.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

reserved for future post.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend
    Blog Entries

As I posted on your other thread about this, the Chilton link was "given" to us by a poster. I don't understand why the onus is on you, GMTC or the posters here for using a free site that was given to us by an unknown entity. Whether is was theirs to give us is an unknown, but I think Chilton should be looking to close the leak in their company, rather than go after the site(s) that it was given to.
    I know you have a lot on your plate right now, so if you don't have time to research whether or not it is legal to have the link on here, then just to be on the safe side, take the thread off. We won't miss it, we don't need it & since Ms Jennifer from Chiltons is being so pissy about it, we won't be buying any stinkin Chiltons manuals in the future either ha ha ha
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Just pull the thread Steve. No point in getting in legal trouble and possibly having to close down the site due to a link to Chiltons, either directly or indirectly. We can deal without having access to Chilton's guides on the site if it still means we can have the site.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Just pull the thread Steve. No point in getting in legal trouble and possibly having to close down the site due to a link to Chiltons, either directly or indirectly. We can deal without having access to Chilton's guides on the site if it still means we can have the site.
    X2 there! i prefer the actual tech manuals from GM, better info.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    X2 there! i prefer the actual tech manuals from GM, better info.
    X3. This is such a minor issue, it's not even worth the potential trouble.

They seem to be pretty heavy handed on this though, and pretty misguided, that sort of rubs me the wrong way.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Oh i hear ya, but how much do people even use the chilton guide thread anymore it really hasnt gone up in numbers that much in the past year. I guess it is even less exposure for them, and less of a reason for anyone on the site to recommend a maint. manual when asked which is prefered.

The Thread in question (Chilton's link) has been posted for Over 2 year's and they are Just Now raising a issue about the the thread??.....

X4.....on just removing the Thread in question......It's Not Worth the problems........We have more than Enough information and/or Knowledge from are Member's here on the Site.....that we don't need the Chilton's link.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 04-28-2011 at 04:11 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I can't get to anything on any link in that thread. I'm in the dark I guess. Can someone explain to me what link they're fussing about and what harm is being done?

Pull the thread and be done with it. You don't need the head ache of dealing with them. Members here are resourceful enought to find what they need elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by