GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Cold air intake systems ~ Void my warranty?

Hi
    I just brought a 2011 Silverado and I would like to add a Volant's Cool Air system on to it but I have been told two different things by two different dealers one has told me that it would be ok the other has told me that it will void my warranty. I'm hoping you can give the right answer.

Thank You
    Moak

2011 Silverado Crew LT
    4x4 5.3 auto Steel Green
    riding on 20s

2000 Polaris sportsmen 500

I've had mine on for over a year now and the dealer has never given me a problem with it. I even had some tranny issues and they didn't give me any problems. You may want to PM GMCustomerService on here to see what they say.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Just don't go to the other dealer.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

I know in the pass I never had a issue when I brought my 03 suburban I didn't have it home two days and I had a K& N cold air intake system on it and never had any issues with the dealer on it and it was the dealer that told me it would void the warrenty. I will have to PM and see what I get told
    Moak

2011 Silverado Crew LT
    4x4 5.3 auto Steel Green
    riding on 20s

2000 Polaris sportsmen 500

I think some of the issue may be whether or not you have to replace the factory MAF sensor., which could void the warrenty. I installed the Volant CAI on my 2010 Sierra with no issues. Since it uses the factory sensor, it didn't void any warrenties. THe really big concern was passing the smog check later, as I currently livev in California. Found out that as long as I didn't get the Power Core filter, I'd still pass smog.

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

I think it depends on the dealer, some are cool and ignore the mods and others are just buttheads.

Look up "Magnusen Moss Warranty Act" theres quite a few post's on this site and on the internet to look at.
    The part of the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act that your interested in is where it talks about modifications of a vehicle after it leaves the factory.
    Aftermarket mods dont automatically void the warranty, the modification must be proven to have been the cause of a failure (part or system).
    If the dealer automatically starts voiding warranty there is an appeals system in place with a 3rd party to determine the correct ruling.
    Read your factory GM warranty and or any aftermarket warranty you might have purchased and I'm sure this information is in there, probably real small print.
    Does this mean your replacement air system is covered by warranty? No there are some parts that could fail due to the replacement system i.e. inferior filter could allow large dirt particles through and cause excessive wear on pistons and rings causing early ring failure or in the case of an oil coated filter it could allow oil residue to get on sensors and cause them to fail. These are chances you take modifying a vehicle and again the failure must be proven to be caused by the modification.
    But for a dealer to just state this mod will void the warranty is incorrect the true answer is in the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act.

partssource1,

I have just responded to your private message as well. If the aftermarket addition can be linked to any concern in the furture, there is the possibility that the warranty could be voided. This is done at the dealership level. I would recommend calling around to some more dealerships and explain the situation to get a better idea if this particular situation would result in a voided warranty. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.