GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How To Shave Your Antenna

Today I decided to shave my radio antenna from my truck. This was an idea I had gotten from another truck forum site.
    Before:

After:

Step 1: Remove the black plastic trim piece from around your antenna. It is held on with three clips and is easily removed.

Step 2: Unscrew your antenna from the mounted piece. You can spin your antenna to remove it from the mounted post. If you can't spin it with your hands, there are flat spots towards the bottom of the mast you can grab with pliers to loosen.

Step 3: Remove the antenna mount. There are three bolts holding the antenna mount in place. I was able to remove them with a 9/32" socket, but am unsure if there is a metric size that will work for these bolts.

Step 4: Reattach the mast to the antenna base. Screw the antenna base to a "L" bracket and tilt it down pointing under the hood. Screw in your antenna so it is under the hood pointing towards the front of the truck. Now attach the other side of the "L" bracket to where the antenna was originally mounted.

Step 5: Replace plastic trim and add zip tie to keep antenna from rattling under your hood.

You now have a shaved antenna. You are left with a hole where the antenna came through on the black plastic trim piece, but it was there before so it isn't anything noticeable. Also, you can order a replacement trim piece from a Cadillac Escalade that will not have the hole for about $14. I placed a piece of black tape over the hole for the time being.

Trim piece with black tape-

Also, the radio reception seems to be just as good as with the antenna standing up, but will let you know for sure as I get out some more.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Nice mod, thanks for sharing.

I did this mod about a year ago and I think it really cleans up the front end. You don't really notice the antenna but when it's not there the front of the truck looks a lot cleaner IMO. Plus it's a cheap, quick, and easy mod. Also, here is the part # for the Escalade trim piece: GM part #15287179
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Thanks TELORVEHC for getting that part number. I totally agree with it cleaning up the front end a ton without really being noticeable. I found the "L" bracket laying around in my tool chest so this one was a freebie and only took about 15 minutes to do. Well worth the time.

Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage

may have to do that.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Just an update on this, I did a lot more driving today and my radio reception is a little worse than it was before, but not horrible. It just seems to come and go a bit more than usual. I don't listen to the radio too much, usually only in the mornings on my way to work (Free Beer & Hot Wings Show). So overall I am still happy I shaved it. If I change my mind it's only a 5 minute thing to move the antenna back.

Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage

Legend

Blog Entries

Very cool...what's next?

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I am working on restoring a diamond plate toolbox right now and want to do a DIY spray in bedliner. I have about 6 hours into the toolbox and probably another 3 to 4 before it is totally done. After that, I have no clue. I am running out of free/cheap mods. I am getting married next year and am trying to purchase a house as well, so money is a bit tight. I would love to do exhaust and especially a leveling kit with new tires. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage

you could also tape over the hole from the outside and then flip it over and fill the hole with an epoxy glue and paint it black again.
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Great idea Clgloch! I think I may have to give that a shot.

Here is the toolbox I have been working on-

Before:

After:

Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast