GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

That antenna mod looks cool.

what are the dimensions of the "L" bracket? please and thank you!

Jon

I done mine a long time ago and got the escalade trim for it. Its still there going strong after about 3 years

2005 Silverado SS
    Color matched AEM CAI,Magnaflow mufflers,cat delete,true dual 2.75" stainless mandrel bent exhaust,Circle D 300K stall,Transgo shift kit,Corvette servos,Detroit Tru-trac,SLP 160* T-stat,Taylor 10.4mm red wires,Comp cams 228R,903 springs,12" cross drilled and slotted rotors,WHEATLEY tuned!!!! Boss 313 22X9.5,Toyo proxes II 305/45/22,

LOL doesnt answer my question, but kk. sweet ride!

Jon
    Jonathan L. Tiffany
    2004 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH
    Sport Red Metallic, Dark Charcoal
    04/01/2011

Just eyeballing the L bracket off the pictures, I'd have to guess around 3-4 inches on the long side and 1 inch on the short side.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

any chance i can use some leftover angle iron from reinforcing my avy's outer-most bed cover panel? I can probably cut it to fit, but the one side may be like 2.5" instead of 3" or 4"...is this okay? heres a diagram to show what ill be doing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagram.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	28545

forgot to mention, the angle iron is 1/8" think (i believe), and cut 1" wide.

Jon
    Last edited by JonTiffany1; 07-07-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Jonathan L. Tiffany
    04/01/2011

Quote Originally Posted by JonTiffany1 View Post
    LOL doesnt answer my question, but kk. sweet ride!

Jon
    Sorry Jon lol I used a old stereo bracket to hold mine in and it works great. I will try and find some pics or get the wife to send me some

2005 Silverado SS
    Color matched AEM CAI,Magnaflow mufflers,cat delete,true dual 2.75" stainless mandrel bent exhaust,Circle D 300K stall,Transgo shift kit,Corvette servos,Detroit Tru-trac,SLP 160* T-stat,Taylor 10.4mm red wires,Comp cams 228R,903 springs,12" cross drilled and slotted rotors,WHEATLEY tuned!!!! Boss 313 22X9.5,Toyo proxes II 305/45/22,

OK, so i did it. I improvised A LOT and it turned out just okay. I still have some work left to do on it, especially with the bracketry. Basically i took a random ass piece of metal with 2 holes on either end, bent it into a right angle with a vice and hammer, located a fine thread nut and washer to put all together, however, the metal has the holes too far inward so the outer piece rubs on the base, disallowing it from seating properly. its not only flimsy, but i also required the need of a 2nd wire tie, for the antenna was in the track of the hood hinge parts (!) i should do this the correct way, and not just when i have a few minutes after work, :P any tips would be great, especially precise dimensions used in the writeup for the bracket. my guess is, 1"x3-1/2"x1/16", and so ill need to be on the look out. thanks for the great writeup!

Jon
    Jonathan L. Tiffany
    04/01/2011

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    Just an update on this, I did a lot more driving today and my radio reception is a little worse than it was before, but not horrible. It just seems to come and go a bit more than usual. I don't listen to the radio too much, usually only in the mornings on my way to work (Free Beer & Hot Wings Show). So overall I am still happy I shaved it. If I change my mind it's only a 5 minute thing to move the antenna back.
    I was talking with my son just last night. He was sharing with me about the little short--6"" maybe antennae from pep boys . He says its a direct hook up and the reception is uninhibited.this is another idea, I have Chevy truck -but was looking for one to install on my 50 merc,-in order to hide it.Anybody have any experience with these shorties bob s

This was a simple enough mod to do and cleaned up the look of my truck in a very substantive way with no or negligible impact to reception. Thanks for taking the time to post it and thanks for the provision of the GM part number later in the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast