GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Questions about towing

I just bought a 2007 Suburban to tow our toy hauler up north. I got a 4X4, with 4,10 gears, but it is only the 5.3L and we are under the gvw at about 13,900 pounds. We were going up the hill towards payson, AZ and we were floored doing only 25 mph. After that very depressing trip we quickly added a K&N cold air intake and a performance catback exhaust. We tried it again with no more luck than the first trip. Does that sound like the right kind of performance? The dealer seems to think that is sounds about right?!?! Any help from anyone would be much appreciated!

Little V8, large heavy trailer, ya that sounds about right.

323 cubic inches is really not a big tow vehicle. What the hell were you hauling?

6,000 lb truck from a 13,900 = 7,900 lb trailer. Even with a 350/5.7L engine it would be working on a hill. It would be moving faster but not much.

Who recommended this combo?

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Wow! That is heavy combo. What is the torque/HP rating on a 5.3 these days?

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Blog Entries

You must have a BIG toy hauler because I have towed our 24' Weekend Warrior lots with her 2001 Suburban W/5.3, CAI, and 373 gears without too much problem. Slow going on the hils for sure but I bet a Hypertech programmer will give you a little more muscle. Here is the Hypertech Dynochart for your Suburban.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I know the route you speak of. My wife and I travel it a few times a month with a 9000 lb load. The hills your talking about are not your avg. "hill". These are mountains he's climbing ! Even with our 2500HD, 8.1 L (496ci), Allison auto and 4.10's were still only doin about 45, the same as the turbo diesels on the road with us. The performance your getting from your 5.3 is normal and I dont think any mods you throw at it are gonna give you what your looking for with that load. You need a diesel or some major cube's. You already have the deep gears, I wouldnt go any deeper unless your running a 33" tire or larger which it doesnt sound like you are. Not putting down your truck but thats just way too much load for yer rig and the "hills" we run up to Payson.
    Last edited by Grynder; 07-17-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    2003 Chevy 2500HD
    4x4, Extra cab, 4 dr,
    8.1L (496 cube's !), Allison Auto
    Boy's, I said above the canyon wall's.
    Strong eye's did glow......
    It was the leader of the land baby,
    Oh my God...
    "THE GREAT WHITE BUFFALLO"

Legend

I was just looking at the figures, what happened to burbs, and their towing?!
    Doesn't look to me, like the '07 model year is particularly a good year to own a burb if you intend to tow anything.
    I'm sure this is a result of GM trying to squeeze more mpg out of the burb, but how depressing. No wonder the OP (original poster) is having so much trouble towing, even if you are towing up mountains. Burbs have always had power to spare past the max tow limit, I suspect that the tow limit is right up to the max, and there's nothing in reserve for power.

Those HP and torque figures aren't too impressive either. Too bad. Sorry, I'm not trying to put your burb down, but I think you'd have better luck towing with a '06, or like Dwill suggested a hypertech programmer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails towrates.jpg  
    Last edited by TrailLeadr; 07-17-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Talking Caveat emptor

I did a stint at an RV dealer and unfortunately some salesmen will sell you a rig that you really don't have the capacity to haul safely. A friend of mine bought a travel trailer to tow behind his Explorer that ended in disaster. The right front tire blew out and things got out of control. The trailer ended up a pile of aluminum confetti. Thank god no one got hurt.

Remember that if you had trouble hauling it up the grade, going down the grade isn't much safer. You have a lot of weight behind you that can overload your brake system and brake fade can be fatal.

Just because the 'math' says you can tow it, doesn't make it safe. Decide what safety margin you feel comfortable with and buy accordingly.

A load that is at the extreme limit of a vehicle's towing capacity puts strain on the driveline and the brakes, so service them more frequently than you normally would. The idea is to make it back alive from those vacations.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by TrailLeadr View Post
    I was just looking at the figures, what happened to burbs, and their towing?!
    Doesn't look to me, like the '07 model year is particularly a good year to own a burb if you intend to tow anything.
    I'm sure this is a result of GM trying to squeeze more mpg out of the burb, but how depressing. No wonder the OP (original poster) is having so much trouble towing, even if you are towing up mountains. Burbs have always had power to spare past the max tow limit, I suspect that the tow limit is right up to the max, and there's nothing in reserve for power.

Those HP and torque figures aren't too impressive either. Too bad. Sorry, I'm not trying to put your burb down, but I think you'd have better luck towing with a '06, or like Dwill suggested a hypertech programmer.
    I agree those are some wimpy numbers from the 5.3. (Although I wasn't going to say it out loud) Bring back the real HP engines...I need a minute here fellas, I just felt a tear for GM.........Ok I'm good!

Legend

Sorry, maybe my opinion didn't come across too tactfully.

Default Sad but true!

I have an 07 Burb with the 5.3 and just pulling a uhaul trailer with about 2000 lbs in it seemed like a little work. It hauled it fine but you could tell it was on there. I did not buy mine to haul big loads but for what i need it is plenty. The power on hand with no trailer is a little slow but is definatly there if you need it.
    Terry
    2007 Suburban LT2
    #7 in a long line of Chevy trucks

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by