GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Installing OEM Roof Rack on a vehicle that came with out it?

For my 1999 K2500 Sub, just found an OEM rack with crossbars pretty cheap at a local salvage yard. I know 99% of Tahoes/Subs come with the rack so I doubt anybody here has done this. But never hurts to ask.
    Does anybody know if there is a difference in roofs between the rack/non rack models? I've heard the was on some other vehicles and now it has my concerned I should just go full aftermarket on it. I'll be putting some pretty heavy fishing kayaks up there. I'm concerned just drilling into sheet metal isn't going to hold them with the weight/wind resistance/lift at highway speeds.

Appreciate any input!
    Thanks!

Welcome to the club. I never heard of the 'Burbs having to types of roofs so the rack should fit. I think they use a nut-cert to attach the racks to the roofs.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

I believe that there are welded nuts in the roof cross beams, but I'm not for certain. Your best bet is to drop the headliner and check before drilling. I don't think there's a production difference in roof lines.

My personal belief is that, beside the cost difference of u pull it and aftermarket, you'll get more use out of the stronger aftermarket unit.

Good luck

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Welcome to the club. I never heard of the 'Burbs having to types of roofs so the rack should fit. I think they use a nut-cert to attach the racks to the roofs.
    Thanks. I do think that's the case. From what I'm reading regarding newer vehicles I maybe can get by using a well nut there. GM defintely sells a "roof rack well nut" just not sure what they use them on.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post
    I believe that there are welded nuts in the roof cross beams, but I'm not for certain. Your best bet is to drop the headliner and check before drilling. I don't think there's a production difference in roof lines.

My personal belief is that, beside the cost difference of u pull it and aftermarket, you'll get more use out of the stronger aftermarket unit.

Good luck
    Thanks. I haven't picked that OEM one up yet. I'm starting to think the couple hundred for a Perrycraft rack maybe worth it. Yakima and Thule are way to overpriced.

On a side note I see we have almost the exact same Burb's! 1999 K2500 base models. Never see those grills around!

Quote Originally Posted by Postman View Post
    On a side note I see we have almost the exact same Burb's! 1999 K2500 base models. Never see those grills around!
    sshhhh.... we don't want the rest of them to know how cool we are....