GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Breakin Ice or Drawin Lines: Showing up at New Commands

Hey ya'll just wanted to see if there's any interesting stories out there about hittin up a new command with yer truck. I've had both encounters where my Chevy (was a good truck!) broke the ice and helped me aclimate to the new area, and where a Ford/Dodge person felt the urge to try and explain to me how much more "superior" their truck was So, what have ya'll experienced??

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Blog Entries

It was a fellow mechanic's 72 short bed that got me into a circle of friends. Back in early 05 when flames were the rage, I seen his truck in all it's glory. Black with silver flake paint, red, yellow, and orange flames that looked good, twin scoops on the hood that worked, a 350 H.O. from a 75 vette and four speed Saginaw gear box. After work the second day I was there, I hung around to learn a bit about the truck and found out he was in my unit. My immediate suporviser to be exact. Last I knew he owned his own custom shop called NYC Customs in El Paso.
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT 4.3
    1984 C20 'burban 454
    1963 C10 283
    One lead foot
    Two hands that turn a steering wheel very quickly and very well.

I actually learned a lot more about a bunch of buddies of mine at the country bar I hung out at in Japan because of my first truck. When I excitedly told them about the new Chevy I was pickin up, they all started swappin stories about their first trucks, askin what I was gonna do to mine (and what I should do!), and offerin to help me install stuff and go four wheelin with. Had a lot of good times with that crew!

Only advisarial encounter I had was in Lemoore, CA at my wife's squadron's BBQ. A woman there had Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummings Diesel, and spent a good deal of the evening telling me about how inferior and underpowered my truck was compared to hers. Honestly think she was tryin to hurt my "manpride" or something. Just kept telling her that my Silverado was perfect for what I needed, and just right for my budget. She left me alone once she noticed she wasn't bothering me. It was one of the most interesting encounters I've had with somebody who was so anti GM!

Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_korthos View Post
    I actually learned a lot more about a bunch of buddies of mine at the country bar I hung out at in Japan because of my first truck. When I excitedly told them about the new Chevy I was pickin up, they all started swappin stories about their first trucks, askin what I was gonna do to mine (and what I should do!), and offerin to help me install stuff and go four wheelin with. Had a lot of good times with that crew!

Only advisarial encounter I had was in Lemoore, CA at my wife's squadron's BBQ. A woman there had Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummings Diesel, and spent a good deal of the evening telling me about how inferior and underpowered my truck was compared to hers. Honestly think she was tryin to hurt my "manpride" or something. Just kept telling her that my Silverado was perfect for what I needed, and just right for my budget. She left me alone once she noticed she wasn't bothering me. It was one of the most interesting encounters I've had with somebody who was so anti GM!
    Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine.... There's NO G in Cummins!
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

lol, no worries! what I get for typin half asleep and tryin to multitask!

Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors

We got a new CSM when I was on Active Duty and I was in the process of restoring my 87 IROC (that I wish I still had). I had literally just got it out of the paint shop a few days prior and drove it in cause my Company Commander was wanting to see it (He had an 86 Monte Carlo SS if I recall right). The CSM must have liked what he heard (the IROC did sound pretty mean) cause as my CO and I were talking he walked up and started looking at it. Said I had a hell of a car and so that was how I met our new CSM LOL.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

I had my 96 silverado (lowerred, ext cab, tonneau cover, carpeted bed) shipped over when I went to Germany for my first (and ultimately only) duty station. It took a couple of weeks to get shipped and during that time I hadn't talked to my 1SG hardly at all. When I drove that up to PT suddenly PT wasn't as important and started a bit late because we were talking about trucks. He had a 96 Burban that he'd put some money into. He and I got along really well after that. That, plus the fact he figured out I wouldn't take it easy on him in football or basketball just because he was the 1SG which he told me he loved. We got along really well until he left.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp