GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 94 chevy silverado, good buy or not

Idn if this is the right place to post this but here it is. Im looking at a 94 chevy silverado 4x4 it has 169xxx and the guy wants a $1000. There is rust on the front quarter panel. But thats it for the rust it needs a tail gate, and a whole grille assembly, it has a 350 carbed. would this truck be a good buy. This truck would be my first and i kinda wanted a project truck. what do u guys think?

Jr. Mechanic
    Washington State, the Dry Side ( Southeastern)

Well, most of the other things you can most likely fix....The most expensive cost will be the 4x4.....with 169....The transfer case and the front axle will need to be rebuilt, unless the previous owner had it done. My 95 suburban 4x4 3/4ton with only 89k miles....needed to be resealed and we did the whole thing cost about 600.

So......

The 1000.00 might just be the begining....

Now with all that said....I have a 95 blazer with 160k and have no problems....but I have had it for a long time and did the correct maintenance.

Good Luck
    Just Another Day in Paradise...

Sr. Apprentice

I have no idea of what you are dealing with here. i do not know where you are so I do not know if this is a rust free AZ truck or a rustbucket from CT. I have lived in both places to know the difference. Generally speaking, if you can buy something that actually runs, steers, and brakes for $1000, you are rdoing well.
    My 89 4x4 K2500 with 106K on it 10 years ago cost me $9000. But I stil have it. So it hard to tell with the info you provided.

Sr. Apprentice

If it's got a carb then it's probably a crate motor. You might want to get a little more info on that and the miles on it. It could have been converted from the TBI but probably a crate motor.
    -

I live in Tewksbury, M.A.

Taxachusetts ahhhhh, crawl under that puppy and make sure there isn’t a lot more rust underneath. Salt is these babies worst enemy.

Not to mention what someone else said about seals on the 4 wheel drive systems.

Also I was wondering myself why it was carbureted. 94’s were fuel injected, TBI. So it may be a crate motor or someone had a computer problem.

Also has it passed state inspection lately? They are real pricks in Mass. If it won’t pass you could be looking at a lot of money to get it to pass.

I have a 94 Burb I got 3 years ago for $4500 and have put head gaskets, (common on these at high mileage), hinge pins, (drivers door and barn doors), E brake cables, and some body work.

But that is not a lot of work on a truck with 180,000 miles on it when I bought it. Now over 200,000 and still running strong.

But then I have a farm and worked construction when I bought mine, and I love the Burbs. So does my wife, she feels safer in it.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesnít.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    Taxachusetts ahhhhh, crawl under that puppy and make sure there isnít a lot more rust underneath. Salt is these babies worst enemy.

Not to mention what someone else said about seals on the 4 wheel drive systems.

Also I was wondering myself why it was carbureted. 94ís were fuel injected, TBI. So it may be a crate motor or someone had a computer problem.

Also has it passed state inspection lately? They are real pricks in Mass. If it wonít pass you could be looking at a lot of money to get it to pass.

I have a 94 Burb I got 3 years ago for $4500 and have put head gaskets, (common on these at high mileage), hinge pins, (drivers door and barn doors), E brake cables, and some body work.

But that is not a lot of work on a truck with 180,000 miles on it when I bought it. Now over 200,000 and still running strong.

But then I have a farm and worked construction when I bought mine, and I love the Burbs. So does my wife, she feels safer in it.
    yea, i know mass is brutal on taxes, but the guy told me it was carb, god knows if he knows what hes talking about im going to go look at it tomorrow.

Yea, my mom has a suburban 110xxx and still running strong,the only thing wrong with it is before we owned it got into a accident and now the primer is coming threw so we have to get it painted. Actually today i just put some new plugs, wires, and a air filter. Good little project to do on a boring sat day.

Because the TBI (Throttle Body Injection) looks like the old carburetor he may be mistaken. But again has it passed emission standards lately?

Does it have a current sticker?

I lived in Mass for years, worked at the GM plant in Framingham for 15 year. So I know all about that crap. I don’t think they got any better, if anything they have gotten worse.

But don’t forget about the frame rust, 4 wheel drive leaks, and other things.

Just look it over good, then take it to a local reputable mechanic that you trust and pay him for his time to give it the once over. Well worth the money if it has some hidden problems that you might not notice.

If it saves you from buying a peace of crap, 50 or a 100 bucks is well worth it.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesnít.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    Because the TBI (Throttle Body Injection) looks like the old carburetor he may be mistaken. But again has it passed emission standards lately?

Does it have a current sticker?

I lived in Mass for years, worked at the GM plant in Framingham for 15 year. So I know all about that crap. I donít think they got any better, if anything they have gotten worse.

But donít forget about the frame rust, 4 wheel drive leaks, and other things.

Just look it over good, then take it to a local reputable mechanic that you trust and pay him for his time to give it the once over. Well worth the money if it has some hidden problems that you might not notice.

If it saves you from buying a peace of crap, 50 or a 100 bucks is well worth it.

Yes, it recent got a inspection sticker about 2 months ago. Thanks for the info i will bring it down to a mechanic.

Sr. Apprentice

My 89 5.7L is throttle body injection. It looks very much like a carb.
    A Tewksbury Mass car needs to be checked well. Salt, constant moisture, potholes, can get pretty warm and then again quite cold. Body, front end parts, shocks, rust, moisture in brake system, exhaust system corrosion are all potetial issues that come to mind. Again, i am from CT originally.
    Hey, but I am still a Red Sox fan first and then a D-backs fan..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast