GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Myrtle Beach

Default Myrtle Beach

I am taking a trip to Myrtle sometime in August with the family. I have taken to driving on the beaches of North Carolina in the Outer Banks over the last year or so and was wondering if MB had any 4wd beach access areas? Haven't found anything online yet, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything?
    C-Ya...Skiv!

gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8046
    Here's my truck!

Quote Originally Posted by skivhere View Post
    I am taking a trip to Myrtle sometime in August with the family. I have taken to driving on the beaches of North Carolina in the Outer Banks over the last year or so and was wondering if MB had any 4wd beach access areas? Haven't found anything online yet, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything?
    Not as far as I know but if you like driving on NC beachs the autobahn society is trying to shut down driving on NC coast.

no driveing on the beaches except for emergency personal

2005 Canyon 28000 2.5
    Curt
    Lincolnton NC

no driving on the beaches...
    1998 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 4x4
    2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4.7L 4x4
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's alright, thanks anyway. Never made it, too expensive a trip at the time. Fuel alone would have killed us!! I am so glad those prices went back down!

Im planning a trip to OBX this fall. September actually, rented on e of those houses onthe 4x4 beaches in OBX and want to know if anyone has any advise fro over sand driving.

thanks
    08 Colorado Z71
    95 GMC 2500 Ex Cab
    87 BMW 325is
    04 BMW 325xi (wifey)

The wider your footprint the more flotation you will have on the sand. You can air down your tires to get a wider footprint. I used to take mine down to about 10 LBS. It all depends on the tire and the weight of your truck. If you are going to air down its always a good idea to bring a compressor or air tank with you.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Jr. Apprentice

Try Assitigue Island in VA. they have a place at the beach entrance/exit with tire pumps and a place to prep the truck before and after the sand. really nice setup.
    Tom -
    2005 Suburban 4x2
    2005 Equinox LT AWD

That's awesome that you are renting one of those places, it should be nice and quiet back there. I always wanted to, but can't afford to.
    When driving on the sand, watch the tides. The easiest times will be at low tide and you can get out on the packed sand when the water goes out. Jimmiee is right, you want to get the widest footprint available. The little 12V compressors will work, but take forever unless you pay a good amount for one. When you get off the beach and heading towards town, there isn't anywhere close by to air up, so I would recommend getting a good quality pump. Also, I usually air down to around 20 psi...I've actually made it about 2 miles in before I aired down before in my 'burb. I did it mostly because I was getting nervous and didn't want to get stuck!
    Also make sure you have some straps or a winch incase you do get stuck. If you have a winch, they make a nice device that looks like a boat anchor that will work in the sand.
    And have fun!!

I am hoping that my family will be down there in a couple weeks...we didn't get to go last year since the trans was going and I didn't trust it!

Sr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

I used to live in NC when i was stationed out there. We drove on the beach on the military base all the time. As far as Myrtle...I don't really know that they will let you drive on the beaches down there. That is a hugh populated tourist beach so they probably don't allow that.
    2007 Chevy Silverado
    5.3L Vortec V8
    Black Crewcab
    Chrome tow hooks
    Chrome side view mirror caps
    Stainless steel GM tie down hooks
    Flowmaster turbo with Silverline tips (Dual Exhaust)
    Back Wheel house liner
    Chrome door handles
    Chrome Chevy bowties front and back

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by