I have a 2001 Z71 with the factory trailering package (regular cab, stepside, every known option other than leather and power seats, 5.3 liter/auto...just in case any of that makes a difference). I have a trailer that I wired myself to use the factory 7 way round plug that my truck has. Everything works properly with just the standard running lights, brake lights and turn signals on the trailer.

Now for the desired modification...my grandfather gave me a small electric winch to put on the trailer. But...what is the best way to power it? From the wiring diagrams I was looking at (http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx), it appears that the upper left pin is a 12v+ for accessories. Will this provide enough power for this small winch? I don't know how many amps it pulls, but it appears to have an 8-10 gauge power wire on it (I am not the best at judging gauges). I would like to avoid adding a battery to the trailer...but if I have to, this wire could at least be used to charge it, correct?

Second additional question. I currently don't have the brakes wired up on the trailer, but would like to. Does my truck have a factory brake controller for the trailer (lower right blue wire in those diagrams)? I have never assumed that Chevy ran the wires simply because there is a plug at one end.

I also question the backup lights (future mods to the trailer), but that is easy enough to check with a voltmeter.