GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Reduced Power Warning and Engine Check Light

Has any one heard of the Reduced Power warning that comes on with a check engine light. Mine came on tonight and I lost a majority of the power to my 2005 Colorado. any ideas what the problem could be?
    Last edited by Steve; 06-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Legend

I've heard that many of these vehicles have a "limp home" mode. When the ECU expects, or detects catastrophic failure of some engine, or transmission component it will put the engine into that mode to prevent too much damage from being done.

Can you tell us what the truck was doing at the time of the reduced power warning?
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

3. Likes Steve liked this post

I was driving and the truck all of a sudden lost power. no warning no sounds at all. then the warning signs came on. I then drove torward home and the truck died at a light. I then coasted backward to park on the side of the road and then tried to turn the truck back on. It started the reduced power light went off and the check engine stayed on. but full power came back. I drove the car home and havent started it since.

Legend

I would say you should see about getting the codes pulled. They will give you the most info as to what the problem is.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

There is a recall on the truck for the A/C. The voltage spikes with the fan switching and causes the car to go in to limp home mode and the A/C stops working . Call GM and see what recalls and updates are open on your truck.

Hey ChevyTech, you didn't mention if that was a NHTSA recall or a factory TSB. The only data I could dig up was this from ConsumerGuide

Check-engine light:
    The check engine light may come on accompanied by an engine misfire due to weak exhaust valve springs which must be replaced. (2004-05)
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

I am sorry for not saying if it was a TSB or NHTSA, I got the info from my old GMSTC (General Motors Service Technical College) binders. It was handed out in a Fix it Right the First time Factory Bulletin sheet. Along with a hundred other this is how we messed up tech tips. It was mentioned for the Cobalt and the Pursuit in Canada only with a 4 cyl. engine. We had 2 Colorados come in to the dealer with the same problem, it was determined through tech line that it was possible that the mentioned bulletin might include certain Colorados. Sice it was not a specific Colorado bulletin I did not give the info on the tsb itself. I appologize for making it seem in my previous post that it was a sure fire TSB for the truck, I was at work and had twenty things going at one time and typed faster than I could proof read.

If it pulls a P0507 code here is the NHTSA info;

Service Bulletin Number: 3358 Replacement Bulletin Number:
    NHTSA Item Number: 10014876 Date of Bulletin: 19010101
    Failing Component: 060000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    Date Added to File: 2005-05-11
    Summary:
    SERVICE ENGINE SOON (SES) LIGHT AND REDUCED ENGINE POWER DUE TO A P0507 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE. *TT

P0507= Idle Control System RPM Higher Than Expected

This is the more likely cause of the problem.

A few times I came across missfire codes that caused the problem and the head had to be replaced with an updated assy.

These types of topics are rare, but they're very important when they are needed.

It's way too late for the OP in this thread to get back in touch with us, but I'm curious if anyone else has gone through this.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    These types of topics are rare, but they're very important when they are needed.

It's way too late for the OP in this thread to get back in touch with us, but I'm curious if anyone else has gone through this.
    I went threw this with my 2011 Chevy 1500 4.3L V6 this past March 2013 when I had about 52,000 miles, I was on my way south. My truck started to flash the message, "Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, Engine Power is Reduced" Messages. Both my Check engine light and low traction warning lights were on. Truck idled very poorly(misfired) top speed was approx. 40mph really sluggish to get to that speed and the trans shifted really hard. Limped it to a Chevy dealer and they stated two codes P2135 and P0121 due to my failed Throttle Position Sensor(TPS). They replaced the sensor, reprogrammed the ECU and reset the Idle. I now have over 60,000 miles and that issue has never returned. My truck gave no sign or warning before the sensor failed, at-least it didn't leave me stranded and I was able to limp it to my hotel and to the dealer in the morning.