GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Oil burnin 5.3

Default Oil burnin 5.3

I have a 2008 chevy silverado crew cab 1/2 ton with the 5.3 active fuel management motor in it. Its been continuously burning oil (about two quarts every 3000 miles). So far, the gm mechanics have replaced pistons, rings, valves, valve seals, camshaft, lifters, and bearings. Everything that they have done hasn't reduced the oil consumption issue yet... Any ideas on what else is causing it? The truck now has 108000 miles on it, but the problem began at around 50k.

Quote Originally Posted by jjstew View Post
    I have a 2008 chevy silverado crew cab 1/2 ton with the 5.3 active fuel management motor in it. Its been continuously burning oil (about two quarts every 3000 miles). So far, the gm mechanics have replaced pistons, rings, valves, valve seals, camshaft, lifters, and bearings. Everything that they have done hasn't reduced the oil consumption issue yet... Any ideas on what else is causing it? The truck now has 108000 miles on it, but the problem began at around 50k.
    To the Site.....Below is a link to many Thread's Re-guarding Oil Consumption in some of the .....5.3 / 6.0 Liter Engine's...

Link,
    http://www.google.com/search?q=G.M.+...d506d947e5ee27

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Quote Originally Posted by jjstew View Post
    Welcome! Where are you located in Wisconsin? A few of us in Green Bay, and some others around the state. Not quite sure on what your issue is myself. I know that 5.3's have bad oil consumption issues, but usually the things you listed are what the issues are. At least, that's what I've seen from work (I'm a GM Tech)

1995 Chevy Tahoe

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey JJ, Welcome to the GM truck club.
    Of the things that you listed, there are only 2 that I think could have caused the oil consumption,,, the valve stem seals, or the piston rings or both. I don't know why they would replace the other things, but it sure was nice to get that many new parts. As far as what's causing it now, I would suspect that the cylinder bores are not perfectly round & this will not allow the rings a perfect seal & the oil is getting past & mixing with the combustion charge & blowing out with the exhaust. It's also possible that some of the valve stem seals could have failed again, the oil is running down the stems, into the intake charge & again blowing out the exhaust. 2 qts in 3,000 miles is probably not going to be enough for you to see the blue smoke out the exhaust, but you could pull the spark plugs & see if there is any carbon residue on them because this would indicate too much oil getting into the cylinders.
    How many miles since the repair was done? Were these repairs done at 50K when the oil burning started, or were the rings & valve stem seals just done recently? If the rings were only done recently, then they might not have had time to seat yet.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Like a few other people said it could be bad valve guide seals something in that area. Try running a thicker oil in it and see if it makes a difference. 2qrts. is a lot for that much mileage. Try doing a compression test and see if your making the right amount of compression. I don't know to much about the 5.3's but check those and see what you get.

Good luck
    1995 C1500 4.3L 2WD. JET TBI Spacer, JET stage 1 chip, 10mm Taylor custom wires, Pulstar Iridium Pulse Plugs.
    260k miles and still going strong...

Welcome to the club. Hope you get your truck fixed right.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Thread moved here
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"