GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Rear Truck Sag While Towing

Hey guys i just installed my rough country leveling kit this last week and when i hooked it up to my 25 foot camper today i had a huge sag in the rear of the truck.I knew when i put the kit on my truck it was gonna sag alot more cuz of the height but i didnt kno how bad.Is there anyway i can fix that by adding a add-a-leaf because i already have 3" blocks in the back.I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas what to do.Thanks
    Last edited by ChevyBoy2009; 05-15-2011 at 11:40 PM.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Check the bushings on your leaf springs and make sure your shocks are in good shape, replace them if needed, that might alleviate the issue. The add-a-leaf might help as well, but if your leaf springs have a lot of miles/ wear & tear on them they won't support the back end as well as new leaf springs, but replacing the leaf springs should be a last ditch option.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

You could also go with one of the rear air bag kits to help take some of the weight off of the rest of your suspension. If I recall correctly, I have seem some of those kits for about $350. They should also be a pretty surefire way to get rid of that sagging.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    You could also go with one of the rear air bag kits to help take some of the weight off of the rest of your suspension. If I recall correctly, I have seem some of those kits for about $350. They should also be a pretty surefire way to get rid of that sagging.
    X2 on that... I've got a set in the back of my truck, makes a world of a difference!
    2012 Silverado 1500
    2004 Silverado 1500 (SOLD): http://tinyurl.com/JRD761sTruck
    1977 Silverado C20:
    http://tinyurl.com/JRD761-1977-C20

Are you using a weight distribution hitch? I didn't see you mention it. These will better distribute the tongue weight across axles and reduce rear end sag.

I would recommend the bags from firestone industrial. for the 1500 it is their sportrite bags (3000lbs for the set)
    http://www.fsip.com/riderite/rrkit/k...i=136&rrk=2320
    I have their riderites on my 2500 (heavier load cap) and they work great. they are about $225. you can add the compressor and in dash controls for another $210
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2320/

you might contact firestone (if you were to order) to see if you will need one of the spacers due to your 3" blocks. It would be based on the the distance between mounting surfaces. install isnt too hard either.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

As mentioned above....Air Bags would be one of the ways to go......also just wondering what the Weight of the 25 foot Camper Trailer??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I got the full leveling kit from rough country which included keys,4 shocks,3 inch blocks,u-bolts. The truck kinda sagged before i added the leveling,but what stock 1500 doesnt sag with a 25 foot camper.My leaf springs are in really good shape with 120k on them and this is the other trailer hooked up to it except a golf cart trailer.The camper weighs around 4500 lbs,give or take some.I also have 285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck which makes it sit alittle higher.The camper has about a 3 foot tongue on it which makes the camper about 27 foot.I do have a 10,000 lb weight distribution hitch.
    Last edited by ChevyBoy2009; 05-17-2011 at 08:29 PM.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyBoy2003 View Post
    I got the full leveling kit from rough country which included keys,4 shocks,3 inch blocks,u-bolts. The truck kinda sagged before i added the leveling,but what stock 1500 doesnt sag with a 25 foot camper.My leaf springs are in really good shape with 120k on them and this is the other trailer hooked up to it except a golf cart trailer.The camper weighs around 4500 lbs,give or take some.I also have 285/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck which makes it sit alittle higher.The camper has about a 3 foot tongue on it which makes the camper about 27 foot.I do have a 10,000 lb weight distribution hitch.
    As I and the other member's mentioned above.....having Air Bags is the way to go....I tow a Tournament Ski Boat.....the Boat/Motor and Trailer dry wet is around 3600/3700lbs......and with the Air Bags the truck has No Sag at all and handles much better......I also have a On-Board Compressor and Gauge/Controls in the cab.....It is a Great Feature to have......as I can Adjust the Bags for the change in Road Condition and for the load I'm towing.....Bottom Line I will never tow without having Rear air bags.....it has been 1 of the Best Mod's.....that have on my Truck!!.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 05-17-2011 at 08:55 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Go with the air bags. Had them on my SnapOn tool truck and they made a world of differance in the trucks handling and ride. I didn't have the compressor set up, filled them manually, each side had there own airvalve. What was nice about them when I sold one of my large toolboxes which let the truck lean to one side I would just added air to level the truck from side to side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast