GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What are some good High Flow Cat's for a 2008 silverado 5.3 V8......

Hey guy's i was looking online and thinking about upgrading to some high flow cat's and need some help on finding some really good one's that are worth spending allot of money for. I'm not too familiar with high flow cat's so would like some help from everyone who knows allot more about this than me. I just installed a Flowmaster 40 series true dual muffler setup with 2.5 pipe ran into some 3 1/2 by 18 inch gloss black rolled edge tips. I will be buyin a magnaflow true x pipe today and will have it installed by the end of week. If anyone know's anything about the best high flow cat's please let me know because idk much about them help is appreciated guy's.

Thanks, Jake

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

from what I have heard the chevy's actually flow really well. outside of that I know magnaflow makes high flow cats but they want like $1700 for the direct fits. also let us know how you like the x pipe when you get it.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarrchevy81 View Post
    Hey guy's i was looking online and thinking about upgrading to some high flow cat's and need some help on finding some really good one's that are worth spending allot of money for. I'm not too familiar with high flow cat's so would like some help from everyone who knows allot more about this than me. I just installed a Flowmaster 40 series true dual muffler setup with 2.5 pipe ran into some 3 1/2 by 18 inch gloss black rolled edge tips. I will be buyin a magnaflow true x pipe today and will have it installed by the end of week. If anyone know's anything about the best high flow cat's please let me know because idk much about them help is appreciated guy's.

Thanks, Jake
    x2 and I agree 100% w/dsfloyd.....On the factory cats now being installed on the late model Cars and Trucks Today...Flow Well.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Also, RandomTechnology.com

muffler shop i went to said on 03 and newer trucks not to even bother with the cats. ive heard that a few other places as well, that they arnt worth the money due to little or no performance gain. better off spending it in the engine then a set of cats you dont need.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Thanks guy's ill hold off on that then because they are very exspensive and seem like they wouldn't be worth the money and the x pipe should be installed friday or so just installed a flowmaster super 40 series true dual muffler last week and some new 3 1/2 by 18 inch gloss black tips today trying to do some performance gains and hold off on the exterior stuff for now besides some black nerf bars i'm getting next weeks thanks guy's.

np man. i wasnt trying to say that they wouldnt help at all, just cost/gain ratio wouldnt be as good as say, 1500 into the engine or something.

Alex

Yeah man i know what your sayin 1,500 in the engine would be allot better than spending a grand or more on some high flow cat's. I plan on in the future installing a hypertech power programmar whenever i run down my 33 13.50's and put on the 35 12.50 nitto trail grapplers and was thinking about gear's but only will do that if i go bigger than 35's. I really want to put some long tube header's also and maybe a cold air intake and i would pretty much be done with the motor until i find somethin else i wanna do. The exhaust i have 2.5 inch ran from the manifold's back true dualed with 3 1/2 by 18 inch gloss black slant rolled tips and recently installed a flowmaster super 40 series dual inlet/dual outlet which i like allot and now this week will have the magnaflow x pipe to help me have even more get up and go.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

SierraOwner5.3 i have a question? Since i have true dual exhaust along with the dual 40 series flowmaster and install the x pipe will this help me a good bit more and will i be able to tell the difference in Torque and HP? I know this will quiet my exhaust even more from what i have read online but will even out the engine flow evenly and add power but will this x pipe help more even though my truck is already true dual...??

Master Mechanic

Hypertech's are good programmers don't get me wrong but I still favor diablosport. Check truckaddons.com, they often have sales and I got my diablosport predator for $262. Each person has their own likes, I just favor diablosport.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Yeah i have alway's liked Hypertech Max Energy and everything i can do like: Gear shift points, Shift firmness, speed limiter, rev limiter, program tire sizes,Fuel ratio and all of that. I read reviews online about the Diablosport Predator and they were saying it was very complicated to get it programmed into the truck?