GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Black Bear Custom Tune

I'm thinking about buying and getting a Black Bear custom Tune for my 2008 silverado 5.3 V8 very soon after i install the long tube headers and x pipe. I contacted Black Bear today through email and waiting for a reply back soon. My friend mentioned them to me because he's about to get one on his stock 2010 Silverado 5.3 and i was curious. I got to reading and it sounds like it would be allot better than a regular tuner from offline. You can tell them what you would like done to the tuner based on how you drive and how you want the spec's to be. I emailed them telling them i would like to purchase the most exspensive tune they off with the best HP and Torque gain's and also you can ride around while you tune your truck on your laptop and send it in to Black Bear and they will give you exactly what you want sounds like it couldn't get any better than that!!!

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

its not a "tuner" that can be played with or shut off, its a custom tune that is reprogrammed into your stock ecu.....so if your planning on constantly adding to your truck, or playing with your tune id get a DSP or the new Trinity
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

the custom tunes are the best and best done when you are finished witht the mods, but some offer free or discounted updates when you make additional modifications. check out wait4meperformance.com. Heavy Chevy had a custom tune by them and raved about it. he said they did 3 custom tunes based on what he wanted (economy, performance, and tow) and they put it on an SCT handheld, plus 3 tunes is better than 1 (they also do ecm and pcm tunes) their site also says free updates for life, prices seem good too. I may be dumb but their site isnt the easiest to navigate but you might check with them (email or call). oh yeah blackbear has always gotten good reviews as well on here. If I remember right you can also pay like a an extra 100 (blackbear) bucks for a spare pcm that way you have a tuned one and your stock one (good for going in to the dealership).
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Yeah well CLGOCH187 i was wanting to get a custom tune they are way better than diablo sport's and such like that and i know it's for a fact from online and friends and people on here also. I want to do all my upgrade's to the motor and exhaust first before i do the custom tune and keep the tune and will be a beast ha. They will email me back in a few day's they are outta office right now doing custom tunes for others.

AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Door Molding Removed

BlackBear Performance uses the tuner "EFI Live", i also have the same software, but I'm no expert by no means! No handheld device can match the outcome of the custom tune. Handhelds are grey, they are all the same specified tune no matter what you have done to your truck, how many miles, the condition of it or anything. A custom tune is unique to your vehicle(if supplied with a log).

Here's what a map looked like for my truck ( just simplified to two digits ). That i tuned.

It determines the kpa inside your intake manifold at certain rpm's to determine the VE table of your tune.

Once you put that data into your VE table it will change drastically with your mods you have done. My truck was running rich, as you can tell with the increase in the units it's going to be getting more air, now, this is just what it looks like, the final product will be smoothed out and the cells you couldn't hit in your driving log will be manually blended.

Here's what mine looked like finished.

As you can tell there was a huge change in the mid range of the table. You're probably wondering why everything goes flat around 6400rpm, that's the o2 senors, narrow band(stock) o2 sensors cannot read higher throttles and rpm's. Wideband o2 sensors on the other hand can read higher RPM's to finish the table.

In other words, hand held tuners, may be convenient and easy. But if you get a custom tune, you'll be more then happy with it.

On a side note, there's things called DSP switches put into your ECU. They are basically a toggle switch with different programed tunes. So just flip the switch and you have a different tune. It's very common with duramax's. It's used for having Economy tune for MPG, Towing tune, quarter mile tune, smoke tune, ect.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Damn man really good info about how uch did you pay for your tune all together?

AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Door Molding Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarrchevy81 View Post
    Yeah well CLGOCH187 i was wanting to get a custom tune they are way better than diablo sport's and such like that and i know it's for a fact from online and friends and people on here also. I want to do all my upgrade's to the motor and exhaust first before i do the custom tune and keep the tune and will be a beast ha. They will email me back in a few day's they are outta office right now doing custom tunes for others.
    hey im not trying to sell you on any product or dealer here, im just saying unless your looking for a 1 and done tune your better off with a handheld tuner (atleast till your mods are all completed). but on the other hand if you are ready for a custom tune and know what you want, a reflashed pcm is the way to go. its all up to you, but its best to do a little research and know what you want as well as what each option offers......that way you get what you want and arent disapointed with your purchase
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Yeah CLGOCH187 man i'm doing my reasearch now and taking my time with everything and doing one mod at a time right now and want to know allot from BLackBear Custom Tune to know exactly what i want and will let them know soon as i get all my mod's before the custom tune. I will make sure i do everything before i get a custom tune so that it will be at it's full potential. Also BlackBear custom tunes they keep a extra PCM incase you need to do some change's and can change whatever you want while you have your truck for FREE!! The only thing you pay for is the shipping man to me this is a Badass deal but sure it will cost good money but if you do all your mod's like you want to and forget a few things u can always go back and change your settings to put it at full potential for no extra cost!

AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Door Molding Removed

Here is Heavy Chevy's thread on his custom tune from wait4meperformance. they put it on a hand held with 3 custom tunes. not trying to sway your decision one way or the other as I dont have a custom tune, just for research purposes. Blackbear and this one are the two I have heard of as being really good
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...rmance-Reviews
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Theres Blackbear, Wait4me, PCM4less, NelsonPerformance, WestersGarage ( GM consults with this guy) FasterProms (this guys dad tuned my '90 Iroc Camero back in 1990, he grow up with this stuff) and any Diablo custom tune dealer. Shop around and go with who YOU fell good with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast