GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Frame rust

Default Frame rust

So i just bought a 06 silverado, and noticed some rust in the fram. Its not too bad (yet) just some on the edge and the nuts and bolts. Does this require immediate attention or should the frame still out last the life of the car?

It depends on how bad the rust is? Can you post some pics? Or you could use some sandpaper and try and sand it off, it might just be surface rust which could be from the daily use. If its surface rust it should come of pretty easy, if the rust is starting to go deeper it could become a problem.
    Dave V. -- Riverside, California
    Owner of --
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8Liter V8 engine 2WD w/Kenwood Double DIN CD/DVD Player
    1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350ci V8 engine with 500+ horsepower (Still Under Construction)

Rusty nuts & bolts are pretty much normal, but as said above, how bad is the rust on the frame? If it's not bad you can probably get away with sanding/ wirebrushing it off and applying some POR15 or some other rust preventer.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

^^^^^X2!
    wire brush and seal it up
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Welcome to the club!
    Depending on where you live get the frame and underbody under coated. A good job will stop the rust and make it look better.
    Yes a wire brush and some self applied rust preventer works well too.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Up here in MN we just let it go since the frame will far outlast the truck. however if you are worried about it a wire brush and some rust preventative will be good. I wish i had pics of my 1991 K1500 with 356K on it.. you could see thru the entire body but the frame was still solid.
    Last edited by murdog94; 05-18-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Well I bought some POR15 and sanded and coated some of the parts. All the rust on the frame is just surface and can be sanded off, but it just that there is a lot of different spots so trying to sand and cover all of it would be slave work. I live in tennessee so theres not any shops i can find that would do it for me. I bought the truck from ohio because it was a really good deal so all the rust i guess just came from the salted roads up there.