GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Performance Radiator

I'm looking for a good aftermarket radiator to replace my existing one with. The factory radiator for my 1991 Suburban is a 1-row radiator. It works ok, but with how hot it gets down here, I'd like to get at least a 2 row, but preferably a 3 or 4 row radiator. I also have an automatic transmission, so it has the cooler for that built in, and I'd like to add an oil cooler in too if possible. So, what are some good name brands of performance radiators so I can find an application that would work for me. LMC doesn't seem to list a radiator that is any different from the stock one, and the other stock radiators don't seem like they'd fit. Thanks for the help.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

You should be able to call a local radiator shop. and ask them for a 4core. That will fit. I have read that the mid to late 70s with the BBC motors came factory with a 4 core rad, and GM makes a direct replacement that is aluminum now. So the Radiator shop should have an alternative. And for the rubber mounts you can order them from GM for $2.50 or so apiece and the Radiator will fit like new. As to the Oil Cooler i Would go with an External Unit that goes in front of the rad, they tend to work better in the High heat that you have in LA. I would consider the same for the Tranny cooler since you went to a 4wd which will be more drag and therefore more heat just go with a large capacity aftermarket one. That way you dont have to worry about the fluids getting to hot.
    Though as i said any local radiator shop should be able to give you what you are looking for with out much fuss.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Check out BeCool.com

A 4 core would be a good investment. Also, have you thought about switching to Electric Fans? Would also help quite a bit

1995 Chevy Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by racekid91 View Post
    A 4 core would be a good investment. Also, have you thought about switching to Electric Fans? Would also help quite a bit
    X2.I wouldn't go to all the work of putting in a new radiator without upgrading to electric fans.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

I have been considering an aluminum 3 core for my '91. The best deals I have seen are on Ebay. They range from $150-$250, and are supposed to be direct fit.
    Jess

1991 Suburban

Thanks for the ideas. I'll call up the local radiator shop and see what they can do for me. Sometimes I overlook the simplest things. I do have an auxillary transmission cooler already in front of the radiator, but I don't need it for 4wd. I never got around to converting it; but, I do need it for towing. The oil cooler would be nice, and I'm sure I can fit it up front, but it's not really high on my list either. The motor's still stock, so the oil shouldn't be getting excessively hot.

I am switching to electric fans. I picked up several of the famed Ford Taurus fans people love to use out of the junkyard. At least, I'm pretty sure they're the right fan. Supposedly the Taurus fans have the 2nd highest CFM of any automotive fan, the first being a fan from a Mark VII or something. Here's a link to the Taurus fan mod thread: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...as-Fan-Install
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend
    Blog Entries

I just hope you got them out of a 3.8L taurus since the fans for the run of the mill 3.0 are tiny by comparison

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

As to the 4wd i havent been keeping upto date obviously. But either way an Aux tranny cooler is far superior to the stock unit especially towing.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Mike, if I were to take some pics of the fan, would you be able to identify if I got the right one? All I did was walk around the junkyard looking for Tauruses with seemingly big single-fan units. I knew the dual-fan ones weren't the right one.
    Christopher