GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by stephan View Post
    Alston, Why would you have to mount & balance the spare just because you involved it in the 5 tire rotation pattern? Isn't it suppose to be mounted & balanced from the factory just like the other 4?
    If GM isn't balancing the spares, then there's going to be even more pizzed off owners when they put their out of balance spare on & it thumps & shakes the crapola outta them
    You are correct the whole point in the spare being mounted and balanced when you need it. What I am getting at is a spare (on all the GM trucks I have owned ) did not come with a "factory" wheel but a black steel wheel and the spare tire would have to mounted and balanced on one of the 4 wheels cause I am not going to be rocking 1 steel wheel and 3 factory wheels on my NNBS to try and save a buck. Am I missing something with expecting a 5th factory wheel as a spare?? I am a very simple man so this night be going right over my head.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Legend
    Blog Entries

Ok I got ya... I was looking at it as most people would just not use the mis-matched spare in the 5 tire rotation due to the size difference & therefore wouldn't be mounting & balancing it each time.
    As for me I've never used my spare in the rotation pattern, (even though it's the same wheel, & same size size,) but I know there are a lot of people who do because of the factories stating that it actually gains more miles per 5 tires than what they would by just rotating 4 , saving/not using the spare & then replacing the original 4 when worn out.
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    Did you really think you would find a matching spare under the bed? And what would the spare have to do we rotating anyways? Would you want to mount and balance 1 tire every time you had your tires rotated?
    If I paid for optional 18's i would expect to get an 18" spare, although the wheel would be non conforming and i would have one wheel that matches the other four.

if you paid for a corvette and got a cruze would you be satisfied?

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Ok I got ya... I was looking at it as most people would just not use the mis-matched spare in the 5 tire rotation due to the size difference & therefore wouldn't be mounting & balancing it each time.
    As for me I've never used my spare in the rotation pattern, (even though it's the same wheel, & same size size,) but I know there are a lot of people who do because of the factories stating that it actually gains more miles per 5 tires than what they would by just rotating 4 , saving/not using the spare & then replacing the original 4 when worn out.
    In the past recommendations were a four tire rotation, since the steel belted took the place of bias ply tires. Now if you check the manual they suggest a 5 tire rotation.Why? if they are going to supply a smaller tire. it would be nice to get the wheel as well but i had already planned for the wheel issue and have a OEM wheel to match so I only needed to mount and dismount once. Balancing should be performed each time you rotate and most large tire shops include this with free rotation .

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

So, your issue was resolved the same way as the "excessive cab noise from the vent" issues!
    Yours sounds like a good question for the GM Customer Service Rep. I'd like to see what they say.
    My guess is they had several thousand leftover 17" wheels & tires & some wise corporate exec in the middle of scarfing doughnuts & slurping coffee said, hey lets just put them in the spare wells on the new trucks. We'll save millions of dollars cuz we don't have to outfit them with 5 new 18"s, plus we get rid of all these extras. I would bet that there are thousands of these & owners just don't know it because they haven't looked or needed their spare yet.

** Enkeis solution below is good for 4 tire rotation & a lot of owners do this even when all 5 tires match.
    Yup. No customer service from GM any more. I have owned bowties for 40 years and never altered my path except for the 442.
    Gm just doesnt understand that Ford is not having to work to hard to get us to change brands

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Take your rears and move them forward and your left front to your right rear, and your right front to your left rear.. Got it???
    Oh yeah i got it. Why waste your time posting? Read again and then see if you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    If I paid for optional 18's i would expect to get an 18" spare, although the wheel would be non conforming and i would have one wheel that matches the other four.

if you paid for a corvette and got a cruze would you be satisfied?
    If I paid for a vette you best believe I would check under the hood for the V8!! As for the 18's yes, you got the 4 you paid for and you still have a spare under the bed in case you get a flat and still need to drive. There is a reason the call it a "spare" and not a "matching 5th wheel". I think it is a little unrealistic to expect a matching 18" as a spare and I bet a dollar to a donut that the 18" won't even fit up under there.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    I believe on the window sticker, in the owners manual and in there sales booklets they state that about the spare not matching.
    I have the window sticker and it says nothing about difference in sizes. I did however read the owners manual online and found the sentence, way in the back of the book.
    So I guess you need to borrow or go online and read the entire owners manual of a vehicle to make sure it is not a bait and switch technique .
    All my other trucks have had the same size and same wheel, when the wheels weren't custom. Why change now? GM is simply cheapening what was a wonderful trademark/insignia. Why do you think Ford is winning in Nascar again? Ford get pass because they haven't cut all monies from sponsorships like Chevy has done.

Legend
    Blog Entries

That's a good point about the 18" maybe not even fitting in the spare well. I never thought about that.
    I know when I get my 33" X 12.5" ATs mounted, there won't be room for a matching spare in mine ha ha ha.. It barely holds a 265-70-16

If I paid for a vette you best believe I would check under the hood for the V8!! As for the 18's yes, you got the 4 you paid for and you still have a spare under the bed in case you get a flat and still need to drive. There is a reason the call it a "spare" and not a "matching 5th wheel". I think it is a little unrealistic to expect a matching 18" as a spare and I bet a dollar to a donut that the 18" won't even fit up under there.
    Well send your dollar as the 18" does fit very well underneath. Well if they want it just as a spare why do they suggest a 5 tire rotation? Is there one hidden somewhere else in the vehicle or do they just hold it on a rack for you when you come in? In my state if I put the extra tire on and size is different I am subject to a penalty for mismatched tires. And it will not pass inspection on a yearly basis.
    when it comes to cars it is pretty clear you get a donut in the trunk. What they need to do is make it clear when you pay for optional tires put a quantity on the optional and make it clear. This way you can negotiate for the 400 dollar wheel and the 200 dollar tire
    Last edited by Coach24; 05-23-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Why are you trying to tie NASCAR to you not getting a matching spare tire?

The Below Information is from the 2011" Silverado Owners Manual......Section 10....page 95,

Do Not Mix Tires and Wheels of Different Sizes, because they will not fit. Keep Your Spare Tire and Its Wheel Together,
    .....If your Vehicle has a....SPARE TIRE THAT DOES NOT MATCH....your Vehicle's Original road Tires and Wheels in Size and Type, DO NOT INCLUDE the SPARE in the TIRE ROTATION

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-15-2014 at 09:44 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Why are you trying to tie NASCAR to you not getting a matching spare tire?
    SIMPLE Chevrolet is losing respect everywhere. It truly is a shame they have chosen such a poor way to treat customers.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    The Below Information is from the 2011" Silverado Owners Manual......Section 10....page 95,

Do Not mix tires and wheels of different sizes, because they will not fit. Keep your Spare Tire and its wheel together,

.....If your Vehicle has a....SPARE TIRE that DOES NOT MATCH....your Vehicle's Original road Tires and Wheels in Size and Type, DO NOT INCLUDE the SPARE in the TIRE ROTATION.

Makes sense doesn't it?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by