GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Looks like you better hurry up and get a Ford! I sure hope they have matching spare, but you might want to take a second to look up under the truck next time if it is so important to you.

________2013 4C Rated__________

On my Silverado I ordered the Factory Alloy Rims......the Spare was a Steel Rim, with the same size tire as the ones on the Alloy rims....also the Spare tire was Balanced.....and it didn't have a problem with the Spare being a Steel Rims.

Also.....I Can Not Remember any of my New Vehicles Car or Truck having a Matching Spare Tire/Rim that matched the Vehicles.....and that Includes a 1996" Ford Mustang G.T.II,

And last you've had your 2010" Silverado for Almost 1 Year and you are just noticing it Now, that your Spare Rim/Tire is Not a 18in"???

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-15-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Take your rears and move them forward and your left front to your right rear, and your right front to your left rear.. Got it???
    Please read above and have a nice day......
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Damn, nothing like joining a forum and making a total jerk of yourself over a SPARE tire. Do like Alston says, go trade in your bowtie for a Ford and then join the F-150 forum. I'm sure after a couple of weeks of driving that overpriced, tacky P.O.S. you will have a lot more to complain about than just a spare tire.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Let me just jump in here. I honestly don't think that this is an issue, unless you plan on going somewhere where getting a flat tire is very likely and you might have to drive for a long time on the spare.

Steve's Thoughts:

1) Paying For The Option. When you got 18" wheels as an option, you thought you were getting five of them, not four. I think that everyone can agree that if they thought they were getting five of something and they only got four, they would think that they didn't get what they paid for.

2) Can't mix 17" and 18" wheels. The 17" inch spare will not rotate with the 18" tire pattern - first you don't want mis-matched tires when going down the road, the rims will not match, and you probably can not stow the 18" wheel underneath. Also, if you wanted to swap the spare rubber onto one of the current rims ~ you can't do it as you can't put a 17" tire on an 18" rim & vice versa.

3) There is really no additional cost. The result of having a 5-wheel rotation vs. a 4-wheel rotation does give you more miles on the tires. However it's a financial wash in the end. You will get more miles out of the tires, but you will have to purchase more tires when you are done.

Think of it this way. If you have a lightbulb that lasts for a year (non-stop 24/7/365) - you have to get one new bulb every year, let's say that costs $10. Now, if you have two light bulbs and you rotate them, you still only get one year's use each 24/7/365 each, but becuase you are swapping them out you don't have to buy anything for two years --- but you had an initial higher cost to get the two bulbs, and to replace two more will cost another $20.

Either way, you will spend $20 at the end of two years before buying bulbs for the 3rd/4th year ~ you just have less trips to the store, but you have the extra time/hassle of doing more rotations.

4) Is this really all that big of a deal? Problems with engines, transmissions, drivelines, etc. all mostly a thing of the past. I actually think that we're on very good ground if the biggest complaint that people can raise is the SIZE OF THE SPARE TIRE and/or a design flaw that let's too much noise in on one part of the cab.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Some people just have to have something to piss and moan about. There just unhappy people and want everyone else to be like them.

Just saw this thread and had a good laugh.
    Adam

Jr. Mechanic

I had a 2006 Chrysler 300C AWD that came with a matching wheel and tire for a spare. It was a $350 option hat never got out of the trunk. Great investment...right...at least the next owner got a new tire and shiny wheel. If I had the choice I wouldn't pay that much for an extra tire and wheel for my Silverado as long as the standard spare came without charge...ever.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Please read above and have a nice day......
    Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche
    Take your rears and move them forward and your left front to your right rear, and your right front to your left rear.. Got it???
    One more time!!!!!

As said above with a AWD system you HAVE to have the same size at all times.. With our systems the spair can be used for a few miles till you get to a service station. Also the tire and rim under the truck from the factory should be very close in diameter to the other tires on your truck so there should not be a problem

End of story..

Have a nice day...

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    On my Silverado I ordered the Factory Alloy Rims......the Spare was a Steel Rim, with the same size tire as the ones on the Alloy rims....also the Spare tire was Balanced.....and it didn't have a problem with the Spare being a Steel Rims.

Also.....I Can Not Remember any of my New Vehicles Car or Truck having a Matching Spare Tire/Rim that matched the Vehicles.....and that Includes a 1996" Ford Mustang G.T.II,

And last you've had your 2010" Silverado for Almost 1 Year and you are just noticing Now, that your Spare Rim/Tire is Not a 18in"???

I didnt expect a matching wheel just an 18"steel and 18"tire that matched those on the road.
    If you had read the full post you would see that is was June2010 that we found out the tire did not match.
    I do like to get what I pay for and GM cheated me on this issue.. I also had purchased a matching wheel to have the spare changed over so all five tires and wheels would match.I prefer a 5 tire rotation as the spare is no good after a couple of years anyway so you lose value by not rotating all 5. Unless you go to much larger wheels then it is more difficult as the fit under the bed is incompatible.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Let me just jump in here. I honestly don't think that this is an issue, unless you plan on going somewhere where getting a flat tire is very likely and you might have to drive for a long time on the spare.

Steve's Thoughts:

1) Paying For The Option. When you got 18" wheels as an option, you thought you were getting five of them, not four. I think that everyone can agree that if they thought they were getting five of something and they only got four, they would think that they didn't get what they paid for.

2) Can't mix 17" and 18" wheels. The 17" inch spare will not rotate with the 18" tire pattern - first you don't want mis-matched tires when going down the road, the rims will not match, and you probably can not stow the 18" wheel underneath. Also, if you wanted to swap the spare rubber onto one of the current rims ~ you can't do it as you can't put a 17" tire on an 18" rim & vice versa.

3) There is really no additional cost. The result of having a 5-wheel rotation vs. a 4-wheel rotation does give you more miles on the tires. However it's a financial wash in the end. You will get more miles out of the tires, but you will have to purchase more tires when you are done.

Think of it this way. If you have a lightbulb that lasts for a year (non-stop 24/7/365) - you have to get one new bulb every year, let's say that costs $10. Now, if you have two light bulbs and you rotate them, you still only get one year's use each 24/7/365 each, but becuase you are swapping them out you don't have to buy anything for two years --- but you had an initial higher cost to get the two bulbs, and to replace two more will cost another $20.

Either way, you will spend $20 at the end of two years before buying bulbs for the 3rd/4th year ~ you just have less trips to the store, but you have the extra time/hassle of doing more rotations.

4) Is this really all that big of a deal? Problems with engines, transmissions, drivelines, etc. all mostly a thing of the past. I actually think that we're on very good ground if the biggest complaint that people can raise is the SIZE OF THE SPARE TIRE and/or a design flaw that let's too much noise in on one part of the cab.
    Good post . Until #3 it really isn't a wash. As 2=3 years will have passed without using the spare,in most cases, the spare loses it's value as the dot date runs out and you can't sell it and the environment has already started breaking it down.
    As for the wheel and tire fitting under the truck. It fits very well if you read previous posts you would have seen this..
    Yes some will laugh at this post and that is there right. Some just can't comprehend the idea of paying for something and then not getting it. But we won't go into upbringing here.
    Just think if you ordered a cd player and got an AM/FM radio. same concept.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    Some people just have to have something to piss and moan about. There just unhappy people and want everyone else to be like them.
    well I think if you can't piss you need to have a doc check yer kidneys, son.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    Just saw this thread and had a good laugh.
    Glad you finally got here. laughing is good for you.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
    Damn, nothing like joining a forum and making a total jerk of yourself over a SPARE tire. Do like Alston says, go trade in your bowtie for a Ford and then join the F-150 forum. I'm sure after a couple of weeks of driving that overpriced, tacky P.O.S. you will have a lot more to complain about than just a spare tire.
    Sorry missed your point completely. Oh wait did you make a point? Other than being a jack ass!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... Last Post byLast Post by