GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Because friends don't let friends drive fords

My father was a GM man. All the way back to the 69 Z he bought brand new all the way up to his last vehicle which was his 02 ZR2.

dad had em, grandpa and uncles had em, the first truck my brother bought was a BA 88 silverado.

just had GM growing up, just like ive had GM, just like my wife now has GM (used to be a dirty ford driver, but i got her converted, she loves her malibu.)

just plan like GM, the trucks espesially.

Ive driven ford, dodge just a bit, and was never really impressed.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I come from a big family of GM fans from my 90 year old grandma me theyoungest driver have all had gm cars and trucks. I just got rid of my 97 f150and it was a piece of crap. Could not tow at all. I used to work at a Chevydealer as a mechanic I spent more time working on used fords than I did Chevys.CHEVY ALL THE WAY

my dads initals were g.m.c. lol and i've always been with gm since i was born.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

We-my dad- had a 1953-1954 or so Chevrolet-green and white maybe-kinda rectangular looking not rounded like earlier cars.I was 3 or 4 then.
    He didn't like it for some reason.
    He was a cheapskate- no V-8s allowed-so he bought a CS 1958 Ford SW in 1958- it was a crummy car he cursed until the day he died- it overheated leaky headgasket etc a real POS.
    In 1961-cheapskate he bought an EVEN WORSE CAR- a Rambler SW with the aluminum head iron block 6. It would warp the head need new headgasket and milling about every 3000 miles!!
    In 1965 he bought a Plymouth Fury 3 SW- 318 V-8- great car- lasted 150,000 miles with my brother and I driving it WOT(111 MPH on speedometer probably doing over 100 mph with the pitiful brakes and suspension typical of 1965 cars).
    He bought a 1968 Corolla SW- $1200 NEW- great little motor- I drove it from Baton Rouge to Denver 1300 miles-WOT 84 mph- finally blew headgasket- but still ran for another 5000 miles until repaired.
    So I bought a 1976 Touota pickup-ran well-wrecked it
    1980 D-100 8 ft bed V-8 318 ran well windows rusted shut in just 3 years- no AC in NOLA-cheapskate gene-
    1980 girlfriend- now wife- new Chevette- OK little car- cost $5400 new.
    1986 Toyota pickup, 1994 Toyota pickup, 1998 Toyota pickup, 2002 Tundra V-8 got 16 mpg NOLA to Flagstaff.
    2003 Honda Pilot- 16 mpg9with roof basket) NOLA to Flagstaff(3000 miles round trip) next trip used hitch carrier 22.2 mpg
    2001 Chevrolet Prizm(used) good car- Corolla clone- vanilla car
    Nissan Titan 2004- 19 mpg NOLA Flagstaff
    Broke in 2006- JOB loss wife illness- sold Pilot
    2006- bought Prius- great mpg in city and HY
    Broke in 2007- sold Titan ,Prizm, Pilot-
    Paid $2950 for a 195,000 mile 1998 Suburban- needed something to get 3 adults ,2 leggy greyhounds, and 4 cats 100 miles N of NOLA in case of hurricanes.
    Expected the Suburban to be a 15mpg unreliable POS on the HY
    Very pleasant surprise- 21.3 mpg NOLA FLAGSTAFF- very reliable, much more comfortable than the Pilot for traveling.

So I bought the Suburban by accident-I was forced to because of lack of $$, and need to evacuate people and pets.
    Lucked out- great vehicle- very comfortable travel vehicle- easy to work on-cheap parts easy to find parts
    Charlie
    Bought
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Born to love Chevy! When I was little I remember seeing commercials for the S10 and it had a black S10 with the gold shaded rims and I said when I grew up I was going to get a black chevy pick-up with gold hubcaps. From then on I've loved Chevy. My first truck was a 94 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton though and it sucked which only strengthened my love of Chevy. Since then I've had a 2003 Silverado then I sold that for a 2008 Silverado that I plan on keeping for a long time.

Jr. Apprentice

Grew up around and loving air cooled, flat four vdubs. But always loved the sounds of the American V8's. Was a car freak at a very young age. My friends would read comic books, I read Road & Track.

When I found out I may never get a license due to medical issues (now taken care of), I thought the only enjoyment I could get was maybe working on them and through all my reading of muscle car mags, etc. The 66-67 Chevy Nova just kinda became a favorite. So Chevy and GM kinda became a favorite from that. We also had 64 Chevy stepside w/ a 3 on the tree and a 283. Can't say I really have fond memories of that though. Got pretty old having to get out, pop the hood and mess around with the linkage 'cuz it got stuck in 2nd (again).

Now can't say I have a whole lot experience owning American cars, but I went by friends experiences. One friend's Dodge Dakota was a turd. Another friend's 2005(?) F150 wasn't great. And after getting the medical issue taken care of in 2001 and finally being able to get a license, I drove just about everything. And really liked the GMC trucks, just couldn't afford what I wanted at the time.

Never thought I'd ever have a reason to own a truck, 'til I lucked into the opportunity to buy a house. Bad luck destroyed my last car (Subaru) and good luck got me into this GMC. So now I get to hear that push-rod V8 every morning and suck down fossil fuel like it's going outta style.
    2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab

4.8l V8
    22" Liquidmetal wheels (If you like the way they look, do NOT buy 'em. Poor quality manufacturing.)
    TopDeck Tonneau

Blog Entries

I grew up a Ford man. When I was born, my mom drove me home in a Lincoln, and my real dad in my younger years drove up to his job in the woods in what me and my sisters affectionately called "The Green Dinosaur", which was a 79 F250 ex cab/long box. My step dad was always a Ford guy as well, and I remember him always talking **** to all of the Chevy guys.

Then, after high school, I drove a Jeep for a little under a year, and finally bought my first pickup, which is a 92 Ford Ranger (which I still own). After driving it for a year, I got a promotion in the construction company I used to work for, and the poor little Ranger just couldn't handle the big loads I had to haul, so I bought a 95 Ram 1500. Then, I became a Dodge guy (even though I still had that Ranger, lol). I drove the Ram for two years and after a couple of road trips with my then girlfriend and both of our dogs and all of our gear (it was a single cab, mind you), I decided it was time to upgrade. I was actually looking at a crew cab Dakota, but unfortunately being 20 and not having any credit I was unable to get into a brand new rig, so I started looking around the lot and ran accross three different trucks. A 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins ex cab long box, a 2007 Silverado Classic 1500 LTZ fully loaded, or a 2005 Silverado work truck with barely any options. The Ram was awesome, but had almost 400,000 miles, and even though it had all the maintenance records, I was still leery about it. The LTZ was really nice, but it was the most expensive. The 05, though was priced right, had plenty of power, and was simple enough that the girlfriend wasn't too intimidated to drive it. So, I bought it.

Now, the girl is gone, I'm stuck with two dogs and I got a stinkin' Chevy.

To be honest though, I don't miss the girl, the dogs are like my damn kids and I am now a Chevy guy ;). Oh, and my stepdad? A year after I bought my truck, he traded in his F-150 for his current 99 Silverado. He told me he plans on keeping this one for quite a while.

Also, I have not driven my Ranger since I bought my Chevy. True, the motor is torn apart, but I have barely even looked at the little green beast, let alone work on it. I did start working on it about a month ago, though, just because it is cheaper to fill up, but I don't plan on getting rid of the Chevy any time soon either.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

My father is a GM man, so naturally I became a GM man. He taught me everything he knows about working on cars. As I got older I started fixing my friends vehicles, not once did I ever have to work on a friend's GM. Most common cars I had to work on: Ford, Toyota and Honda.
    Ford over engineers things and makes it very complicated, but the only thing I will give them they put their distributor in the front of the engine unlike GM that puts it in the rear next to the firewall.

Another thing I love about GM is how available their parts are, and that you can interchange different components to enhance engine performance.
    Mikey Jones/Orlando, FL 1998 Silverado

I love chevy I've had four, two camaros, a suburban 1500 6.5L Turbo Diesel, and my lil jimmy which runs like a champ. never had any problems with any of them and i wouldnt trade them for anything else. after my first gm vehicle i was hooked on the power and capability and comfort. i love it. im gonna raise my son to a gm man too.
    The only dumb question is the one that was not asked.:neutral:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast