GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Water in Oil Pan

Hi,

Obviously I have a major problem. A little back ground. Back in 2006, my tranny cooler somehow developed a leak inside the radiator. Ruined my transmission. At the time I just used an external cooler and had my tranny rebuilt.

Back at the end of 2008 I replaced the radiator and hooked up the lines for the oil and transmission. We put in a heavy duty radiator, a bit thicker than what was in it. From then to now I maybe put 2K miles on it.

Now, the Suburban has about 130K. I have oil in my radiator, and water in my oil pan. I never noted a loss of power or any problems except overheating, loss of coolant to the oil pan. We never noticed anything unusual about the performance or exhaust.

Today, I did a compression test, and the average was 160.

I am hoping that the oil cooler in the radiator developed a leak as the tranny did before. I rented a kit from autozone to test the radiator. We disconnected the oil lines and filled the radiator. Hooked it up and did a pressure test. It appeared there was a very slow but steady drip. At the same time I noticed that the water pump appeared to have a slight leak, but it had not had one before.

What would this be symptomatic of? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Also I might mention, when I took the plugs out, they had carbon on them. They were not really clean, they just looked used. They were not wet, but I did not run it before I took them out.
    The engine is a 5.7 Vortec.
    Oh, also, the dip stick is showing the pan way overfull.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Again. I have not run the engine in a month, but the oil is thick and chocolately looking.

to me it sounds like a blown head gasket, there are oil and coolant passages going to the cylinder head and it sounds like they are mixing some how
    2008 TAHOE LT, volant powercore, superchips programmer

Jr. Apprentice

When I asked this, I was asking if there were any year/model specific problems. Turns out there are. Like the intake gaskets are crap. But as a consolation, they make an upgraded gasket that I can pay who knows how much more than the normal ones. Not to mention the time I have to invest on it.

Also the oil cooling side of the radiator was bad and transfering fluid as well. Pretty sweet for a radiator with only 2000ish miles on it. But atleast the shop I bought it from is replacing it with a new one.

Then the water pump also was leaking. LOL... I guess the saying is right, bad things happen in threes.

Now a question, do I need to remove the distributor to remove the intake? I have everything removed to take if off except for it. Its where I left off for the night.

Also what do you recommend to flush the engine? I have so much sludge in it, it is ridiculous.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Zamble; 05-21-2011 at 04:24 AM.

Jr. Apprentice

I need some help. Does anyone have a picture of a complete engine? I need to see how the ignition control module mounts to the upper intake?

Thanks