GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Ambient Temperature in dash display for 2010 LS Silverado

I have read how to add a rearview mirror and display the ambient temperature in that mirror but do not know the difference between the LS and LT that keeps me from making modifications to the existing system to allow it to display the ambient temperature. Any help or does the display, computer, or whatever need to be changed?

I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more information. They are the best resource to let you know whether or not this is possible and what would be needed. Please feel free to keep me posted.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Thread moved to the Electrical forum for discussion.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorU1 View Post
    I have read how to add a rearview mirror and display the ambient temperature in that mirror but do not know the difference between the LS and LT that keeps me from making modifications to the existing system to allow it to display the ambient temperature. Any help or does the display, computer, or whatever need to be changed?
    Dont call your dealer....they wont tell you anything other than your truck didnt come with that feature and its not possible to make it work.

What you need to do is look at the support bars near your radiator to see if you have the sensors for the tempature....if you do then you could change the rear view mirror easily to one that diplays the temp.

If you dont have the sensor there are threads in this forum and on the web that tell you how to wire up the sensor and adding the aftermarket rear view mirror for temp display.

The dealerships are a good resource if your dealing with equipment that came on your truck...anything outside that they dont want the liability and wont mess with it.

For example, when I swapped out my stock gears I needed the Speedometer re calibrated...the dealer simply said they cant do that...they didnt have the means to do it??!!.

So what do they do when they add larger after market tires and wheels to the trucks on the lot? They have to let the computer know what size tires you have for proper speedo calibration!

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I hate to say it but sstoner911 you are entirely correct. After taking the truck to the dealer, calling customer service and getting conflicting answers, I realized the dealership was correct in that they were not able to answer the question. I just feel this is an easy answer for the correct person but am disappointed that I can not buy the answer. I just don't understand why a 2010 $33000 truck did not have a compass and temp while a 2007 $15000 Pontiac did. It has to roll down an assembly line and different equipment installed for the LS and LT.

Just added one on my 99 C2500. I purchased the cable and sensor on EBAY, ran the cable and connected it to the black and green black wires comming from the mirror. I would advise checking a wiring diagram prior to adding this sensor as your wires colors may vary from mine. Locate the sensor in front of the radiator on the radiator support, you should be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorU1 View Post
    I hate to say it but sstoner911 you are entirely correct. After taking the truck to the dealer, calling customer service and getting conflicting answers, I realized the dealership was correct in that they were not able to answer the question. I just feel this is an easy answer for the correct person but am disappointed that I can not buy the answer. I just don't understand why a 2010 $33000 truck did not have a compass and temp while a 2007 $15000 Pontiac did. It has to roll down an assembly line and different equipment installed for the LS and LT.
    I hear ya... I wanted to add it to my truck but I found out that I didnt have the sensors for it and I quickly lost interest to other projects. My Sierra was 29,000 and I figured it was at least wired for it, however, I guess my trim level skips that part of the assembly line