GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Tricia;
    I never thought to contact GM as Truck is clearly out of warranty. Is this possible to open a call with customer assistance on a 99 Sirerra?

1) How many miles were on the truck when you bought it?

2) The link to Google is not the number of searches per month for the phrase entered, that's called a broad-match search, so it's pulling in all of the possible matches of similar keywords and displaying back the number of pages that have something to do with those keywords.

Put the phrase into QUOTES "gm fuel pump problems" and you will find a VERY small number of pages dedicated to that topic, turns out it's less than 50.

Also, if you go to the Google Keyword Search Tool, you will find that VERY FEW people search for that exact phrase in a given month. Only about 73 people every month type in "gm fuel pump problems" for a Google search.

gm fuel pump problems
    Global Monthly Searches 73
    Local Monthly Searches 58

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Steve;
    You are technically correct, however, I never said GM had 4.2 million fuel pump problems, I only said doing the search for GM Fuel Pump problems return 4.2 Million hits. Are you saying you don't feel GM has had issues with Fuel Pumps that exceed normal MTBF ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sierra View Post
    Tricia;
    I never thought to contact GM as Truck is clearly out of warranty. Is this possible to open a call with customer assistance on a 99 Sirerra?
    I was not sure if you would have called when you had these concerns or how long ago this may have happenned. I do not have information regarding the numbers who may have experienced this concern. I would recommend contacting your local GM service department, as they may be able to provide you with a better idea. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Just thank God you don't have Toyota fuel problems, where fuel flow doesn't stop... ;)

Or a Ford with starter motor issues. Or a Dodge with electrical issues.

Basically what I'm saying is they all have "well known issues". None are perfect. Cool thing about a GM though is that aftermarket parts are so easy to find, and often carry much longer warranties than a replacement GM part. Though some dealerships are now giving "lifetime" warranties when they replace some parts. Shop around, not just on the Internet where far too many folks prefer to bitch rather than help, but at your parts stores and at dealerships.

Not sure if this helps, but maybe it will show that some vehicles just have issues. I've owned 12 vehicles over the last 20years, some used, most new from all brands Nissan,ford,dodge,toyota,Chevy,GMC,Mercury.

My wifes 06 Rav4 which we bought new and now has 86k miles on it has been in the dealer shop 17 times since we bought it. It was in the shop 6 times for the same issue ( motor not starting ) within a 3 month time period. Its scheduled to go in for 4 new issues next week. This vehicle has run synth fluids since day one, and all service intervals have been done plus some own personal attention given to it. The rav4 only sees a little in town driving and alot of hwy driving.

I've owned a used 04 dodge ram that ran over 200k miles with no issues and i put that bastard through hell and back, even laid it over in mud holes and flooded the cab several times. Always cranked up and kept on running with no issues.

I really believe some brands are more prone to build quality issues, But I would break it down like 30% brand Quality, 50% driver, 20% luck.

Cheers, and I really hope you have better luck in the future!

2009 Silverado 1500
    5.3L / 3.73 G80 / 4spd / 4x4 / LWB/ Ext Cab / HD Tow-Haul
    2.25in ReadyLift Level Kit / 3in blocks/ 3500lb HellWig / 265x65x17 Wrangler AT
    K&N Filter / AirRaid MIT / MagnaFlow 2.25" Dual Exhaust / HyperTech MaxEnergy

I have a 99 Silverado 5.3 2WD 106K miles. For several years now when I fill it up the gauge goes to empty and the fuel light comes on. If I rock the truck side to side it corrects itself. I assume the sender is bad? Also here latley I hear the pump whining sometime but not all the time so I figure I will replace it. The best price Ive found for Delco pump for my model is $192.00 From Scoggins Dickey in Lubock, Texas. Is there a cheaper way to fix this right? Can I disassemble it and repair it somehow? I dont mind the trouble if I can save at least $100.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sierra View Post
    Steve;
    You are technically correct, however, I never said GM had 4.2 million fuel pump problems, I only said doing the search for GM Fuel Pump problems return 4.2 Million hits. Are you saying you don't feel GM has had issues with Fuel Pumps that exceed normal MTBF ranges?
    You cant blame an entire product line on one purchase!! I was born in 71 so your probably in your 60's or so.....I can understand why you are fustrated...if you dont like that truck trade it in and be done with it.

To be honest I dont see what your post is trying to accomplish other than to vent...

Ford fuel pump problems

If your going to use that crazy "google" theory click the link above.

or

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...y-study-finds/
    Last edited by sstoner911; 06-17-2011 at 10:19 PM.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    Ford fuel pump problems

If your going to use that crazy "google" theory click the link above.

LOL! Google is so much fun! GM 4.2 million returns, Ford 4.0 million, Toyota 9.9 million! Wow! So much for Toyota quality

Statistically this all means zero, ziltch, nada, zip. But it's still a load of fun!

Mr. Sierra, You are spot on when it come to fuel pumps. I have had 2 Yukons (2001) (2002) and both of them required new fuel pumps. One of them required 2. All of the pumps were replaced before 100,000 miles. I asked my brother who is a mechanic and he said gm's are known for this issue. He also said it has NOTHING to do with the gas you buy. This is a classic GM issue that will not be resolved even if GM is aware of this! They will not do any recalls because $ will be involved. It puts the consumer once again in a tough spot and I am sorry we have to be put in this situation.