GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    I can understand your concern, but at this time I believe that the best course of action for you would be for you to continue to work with your agent. If you feel that there is some kind of miscommmunication, I would recommend that you ask the agent to place a conference call with both you and the dealer. This will help to resolve any concerns that you are having. Continue to keep me posted, and I will also keep an eye on your case. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
    Tricia, I know your here to make it seem like GM is "in touch" with their customers... But GM Customer Service really doesn't do much good. If you call them, they will get you on the phone with you dealer. So calling them in the first place is a mistake. I called GM MANY times for the issues I was having, and they rarely called me back when scheduled, and always passed the problem off to the dealer. So realistically, calling GM customer service, or PMing Tricia wont get you any further than dealing with your dealer directly. Just trying to help people save time sitting on hold with GM...

NARGG, As I stated in my thread, my DEALERSHIP got me a new truck. This truck is night and day different from my old truck EXCEPT the bouncy crawl speeds. It does it just like my old truck did. Its usually when you are coming to a stop, or at a slight crawl speed with slight brake applied. The truck will bounce, sometimes very softly only a couple times, and sometimes quite vigerously... So, Im guessing that has something to do with the AFM - Since at idle at a stop, the engine should be in V8 mode. And when the truck starts to be in motion, but barely moving, Im guessing the truck is unsure if it should be in 4 or 8cyl mode. Therefore, it causes the engine to bounce around like it does. Thats just my guess... Im sure at some point, GM will release a TSB on it, and you can take it back to the dealer and get it reprogrammed and solve the bouncing. But until then, Im just going to have to deal with it. All the rest of my issues are cured, so I'm a happy camper! Again, NO THANKS to GM for getting my truck replace.

Thanks for the follow up tawd77. I've wondered about the AFM feature, and seems my Service Advisor might agree with you, since he has mentioned that he believes it to be engine related and not brakes. I like the AFM normally though, as it changes perfectly un-noticable during normal driving. It'd be a shame if it were the culprit in this issue. It's only supposed to give a 6% MPG increase, though in today's gas prices every little bit counts. Seems funny they'd even allow it to switch below, say 5 MPH. Or maybe that will be the fix.

I may see if I can get it disabled and follow up here with what happens.
    Last edited by Nargg; 08-09-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    Thanks for the follow up tawd77. I've wondered about the AFM feature, and seems my Service Advisor might agree with you, since he has mentioned that he believes it to be engine related and not brakes. I like the AFM normally though, as it changes perfectly un-noticable during normal driving. It'd be a shame if it were the culprit in this issue. It's only supposed to give a 6% MPG increase, though in today's gas prices every little bit counts. Seems funny they'd even allow it to switch below, say 5 MPH. Or maybe that will be the fix.

I may see if I can get it disabled and follow up here with what happens.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. If they could program the AFM to be disabled at speeds less than 5mph, it would probably cure the issue. My AFM gives me no other issues at any other speeds other than possibly being the crawl speed issue...

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

On the bright side- if it is a problem with the Active Fuel Management system-(cylinder shutdown to save fuel)-
    Then Eventually GM will solve it with some sort of reprogramming and release a Service Bulletin.
    I would bet that is what is happening.

You also had the not quite right paint also-right?? $35000 should buy nearly perfect paint. Heck my 1998 has better than decent paint and no rust after 14 years-and lots of wet interior metal from leaky window/door weatherstripping leaf plugged drains/ sagging hinges(not a surprise considering age/use)
    Thanks- keep us posted.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    On the bright side- if it is a problem with the Active Fuel Management system-(cylinder shutdown to save fuel)-
    Then Eventually GM will solve it with some sort of reprogramming and release a Service Bulletin.
    I would bet that is what is happening.

You also had the not quite right paint also-right?? $35000 should buy nearly perfect paint. Heck my 1998 has better than decent paint and no rust after 14 years-and lots of wet interior metal from leaky window/door weatherstripping leaf plugged drains/ sagging hinges(not a surprise considering age/use)
    Thanks- keep us posted.
    Charlie
    Yeah, I had paint issues too. I had at least 4-5 places where there was only primer, and it was starting to rust. I know alot of people take out loans, or lease vehicles. To them, issues like this may not mean as much as they do to me. I saved up $35k, and paid for the truck. The only financing I had, was $5k to Ally financial, to be able to get a rebate on the trucks price. I paid that off within 2 months. It took me alot of time/effort to save up that much to get the truck. So yes, any paint repairs, on top of all the other issues was just too much for me. Thankfully, My dealership got me a new truck, and I am extremely happy with it so far!

I agree that there will probably be a reprogramming involved eventually to fix the AFM. I'm just going to wait for the TSB on it, then I will get it fixed.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Tawd
    So both new and old trucks had the odd bucking??
    I would guess eventually there will be a TSB and all will be well.
    Yeah for $35000 you should get near perfect.

TSBs are usually produced only after enough complaints appear. So I'm trying to be as vocal about it as possible. Anyone else who sees this issue, please contact GM customer support. But don't expect anything out of them, just report the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Tawd
    So both new and old trucks had the odd bucking??
    I would guess eventually there will be a TSB and all will be well.
    Yeah for $35000 you should get near perfect.
    Yes, the old truck and the new truck both have this exact issue.

I finally had a long sit down talk with the service manager at the dealership that I've been working with. He also is very frustrated with the GM Customer Service rep and his manager that have been working my case. He asked me to not contact them again, as they seem to want to make matter worse for both the dealership and me.

The Service Manager is working with the district service folks from GM. He too has seen this bouncing/shaking problem on many 2011 trucks, and wants the fix just as much as I do. We talked a bit about the cause, and that there just not enough info yet to determine what it is. I asked about turning off the AFM system, and he said that he was restricted from doing so. Only recommendation he had on that was to find someone with a programmer to do it for me. I've not yet found anyone with one of these so I've not been able to test that theory yet.

Something that has me wondering though, is that this engine does seem very cold natured. In that, the first minute or so of travel after starting in the morning are noticable rough. Even if I let the engine warm up a bit, it's still sluggish and hesitates some on acceleration. I've not covered that yet with the dealership, but it does seem interesting. I'm wondering if the two issues are related?

Have you asked him about this TSB for the 2011 Silverado?

TSB Number: PI-0310 NHTSA Number: 10037409 TSB Date: April 1, 2011 Date Added to File: May 23, 2011
    Failing Component:
    Power Train:Automatic Transmission
    Summary:
    GM: there are transmission problems that include trouble shifting and noises. There may be serpentine belt problems causing it. Updated on 06/27/2011.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com