GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 1984 C10 towing question

Has anyone ever pulled a 20' pontoon boat with just a bumper ball on a full size 1984 C10 Silverado? The bumper says 400lb tongue weight and 4000lb towing weight. Did it seem to do ok? I am hoping I don't need a frame mounted hitch.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
    oletrkguy in SC

I don't even pull jet ski's or my lawn tractor with a bumper ball hitch. Also you most likely will have a hard time stopping (if it does stop) the S-10 with all that weight. One thing also bad about bumper hitches is if you go over a large incline or dip in the road the trailer tonque will touch and most likely bend the bumper.

I have to agree I'm not a fan of bumper hitch's, give me a sturdy frame mounted hitch and I'll be happier.
    The truck should have no problem pulling the load, 84 C10 Silverado I'm assuming you have a 305 or 350 with a 700R4, the trans might be begging for an external cooler though.
    Probably the most important thing to towing a trailer/boat that size is ensuring the trailer is level when hooked to the truck, with a bumper hitch you dont have the ability to adjust the tongue height, with a 2" reciever you can buy different recievers and adjust the tongue height to get things level.

Your truck will pull that boat just fine. If that's an old school step and tow bumper that has some heavy steel in it, it's just as strong as a frame hitch.

What does the boat & trailer weigh?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Alright, so I can't read.LOL. Thought you had a "S-10". Call me sh*t for brains.

YEARS YEARS AGO......i seen a crazy dude in Miami 188th street ( thunderboat alley ) sliping a 47 foot APACHE with a C-10 !!!! man o man was that cool !!! I was young then and tought ..THIS IS ME one day !!!! LOL

Would i do it , HELL NO...is it safe , HELL NO ...would it work, MAYBE !!!! So good luck and always be safe !

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Your truck will pull that boat just fine. If that's an old school step and tow bumper that has some heavy steel in it, it's just as strong as a frame hitch.

What does the boat & trailer weigh?
    I am not sure of the weight. It is a double log 20' pontoon with a single axle trailer. The boat is basically stripped down with just a motor and seats. Getting the trailer and boat weighed has been on to do list but so far, obviously that hasn't happened. lol
    Thanks again to all.

Single axle trailer, you're fine.