GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hey Guys, just checkin in. Pics of misc progress

Heya Guys, Mykk here. Just checking in, seeing what's new on the site. I've been slowly plugging along on my truck, here are a few pics of some projects I've been up to with my Silverado.

I've been spending some time dialing things in on the engine, I wanted to focus on ignition timing and fuel delivery.

I currently have the distributor set up to max timing at 36 degrees all in by 3000rpm, with a 18 degree advance bushing. I have the vacuum advance designed to use manifold vacuum, it adds 12 degrees of timing all in by 8" of vacuum. So I have 18 degrees of cranking, 30 degrees initial, 36 degrees mechanical max and a max crusing timing of 48 degrees. Setting up the dist this way cured alot of hesitations & stumbles. It revs much quicker, the exhaust doesn't smell nearly as much like unburnt fuel and it smoothed over quite a bit of the lumpy idle provided by the cam.

I removed my big single plane intake and installed a dual plane, air-gap type intake. I also worked a 1" four hole tapered spacer to flow smoothly to the intake.

When I got the truck running again, I managed to snap a tooth off the pinion gear. So a new ring & pinion was installed.

Shortly after getting the differential back together, I hurt another 4L60E transmission (Making this #3 in 6 months). So out it came for a performance rebuild.

While the transmission was removed, I set the truck back on the ground. I had the parking brake fail on me and the truck rolled down a hill and into a fence and hurt the bed pretty bad.

Vortec 357ci Small Block Chevy: Big cam, high stall, long headers, rear gears. The typical formula.

Off came the bed:

While the bed was off I decided to re-located that fuel cell to behind the axle between the frame rails.

I redid a few of the fuel lines, and mounted the adjustable fuel pressure regular downstream of the carb and hooked it up to manifold vacuum. This way the engine gets high fuel pressure when needed, and low fuel pressure at idle & cruise so it won't fight the needle & seats and take a load off the pump.

I'm playing with the exhaust again, this time I'm moving the mufflers further down to just in front of the axle and leave them dumped. I can't decide to stay with the Flowmaster Super 40's or give the Super 44's a shot. What do you think?

As for a new bed, I decided to try and locate a '08+ GMT900 bed. According to my measurements a GMT900 short bed will bolt right on, line up perfect and fit great on the older frame.

I tried to line up my '09 GMC as to get a good idea of what the newer bed would look like on the truck.

In the next month or so my truck will get parked for a while and put on the back burner while I go to Los Angeles to work. But when I get some free time and I get back to Az hopefully I'll have enough money lined up to keep playing with and maybe even get to drive my Silverado.

Cheers ~Mykk

Looks really good so far. That GMT900 bed will definitely be a unique mod.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Legend
    Blog Entries

Truck looks good! leep us posted
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

wow, awesome work so far, keep it up!!
    2008 TAHOE LT, volant powercore, superchips programmer

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Will the lower lines match up?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Very Nice!

J. Roy
    2010 Silverado Z71 4x4
    33/12.50/R20 Cooper Discover STT Tires
    20" KMC XD Monsters
    Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit
    Rancho Shocks
    Airaid TBS
    Volant CAI
    8000K HID Head Lights
    6000K HID Fog Lights
    Tinted Head Lights/Fog Lights and Brake Lights