GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 Last Post byLast Post by
    Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
    All statements and info passed so far are correct. But the finally reason for not having that door lock option now days is due to the FEDS, and the new saftery standards all vehivcles must have self locking doors as of 2004 I think was the year
    Just one more reason NOT to buy a new car/truck. TOO MUCH FRICKIN FEDERAL INTERVENTION
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Yeah, but becuase of that federal intervention, people are walking away from car crashes that once would have been fatal.

I actually like the fact that the doors lock automatically at speed! Keeps me from having to do it and the 1 out of 15,000 person that doesn't like it should get manual door locks.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

My 2007 Honda CR-V allows no automatic locking. The default was "lock when moved out of park", but you can turn it completely off. I don't buy the "feds mandated it" answer. Some of the time, the federal government isn't the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jreagan View Post
    My 2007 Honda CR-V allows no automatic locking. The default was "lock when moved out of park", but you can turn it completely off. I don't buy the "feds mandated it" answer. Some of the time, the federal government isn't the problem.
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/DoorLocks/DoorLocks_NPRM.html

• We are proposing to retain the existing requirements for door locks largely as is. However, two minor changes are proposed. First, we are distinguishing between exterior and interior door locks. All exterior door locks must be capable of being unlocked from the interior of the vehicle by means of a lock release device which, when engaged, shall prevent operation of the exterior door handle or other exterior latch release control and which has an operating means and a lock release/engagement device located within the interior of the vehicle. Interior door locks are subject to the same requirements except that for rear side doors and back doors, this release mechanism must require a separate action distinct from the simple actuation of the door handle, and the release device must be readily accessible to the driver of the vehicle or an occupant seated adjacent to the door. The reason for differentiating between interior and exterior locks is that automatic door locks actually have two separate door lock devices, which may or may not use the same release device. For manual locks, there would be only one lock that secures the latch from both the interior and the exterior of the vehicle.
    The way I read this is that in order for a vehicle to comply with doors remaining closed during a crash, the exterior handles etc have to deactivated, hence the auto locking doors.
    Background NHTSA has proposed upgrading FMVSS 206, Door Locks and Door Retention Components. The agency is concerned with door latch integrity, mainly to prevent ejection in a crash. Rollover crashes are of particular concern. NHTSA is also considering adding a door opening test requirement to Standard No. 206. The purpose of this requirement would be to reduce the risk of injury in the event that a crash results in a fire. The requirement would accomplish this by increasing the chance that vehicle occupants can exit or be extricated from the vehicle after a crash.In addition, FMVSS No. 208 and No. 214 currently test vehicles with the doors in the unlocked position. In 2001, General Motors submitted to the agency a petition requesting that the agency amend its FMVSS No. 208 and 214 tests procedures to allow vehicles equipped with Automatic Door Locks (ADL) to be tested in the locked position. In November 2002, GM sent a letter to NHTSA requesting that NCAP be allowed to test with the doors in the locked position. In vehicles equipped with ADL, all doors automatically lock either when the shift lever is moved out of 'Park' or when the vehicle reaches a certain speed. ADL improve the likelihood that doors will stay closed in the event of an accident, retaining the structural integrity of the vehicle and lowering the chance of occupant ejection. In addition, they prevent doors from being opened accidentally and/or by children. Currently, a small percentage of the fleet has ADL.
    Objectives In both their petition and the subsequent letter, GM asserted that ADL are a safety device. Compare vehicles with and without ADL in real world data files to determine if ADL prevent or mitigate occupant ejections, as well as determining whether there is a tendency for doors with ADL to jam more or less frequently than those without ADL. Estimate the cost to manufacturers for installing ADL.
    Proposed Approach Information will be obtained about which makes, models, and model years of vehicles are equipped with ADL. For those vehicles on which ADL are an option, information on the percent of vehicles equipped with them will need to be obtained from manufacturers. Examine and analyze NASS and FARS to determine whether vehicles equipped with ADL have a lower incidence of occupant ejections and "fell from moving vehicle" cases. Use NASS data to determine rates of correct door operation, coming open during collision, and becoming jammed for vehicles with and without ADL. The study should be controlled for vehicle type, vehicle weight, occupant age, and gender. In addition, since the feature can be disabled, and in some cases are factory set at "No doors lock/none unlock," detailed NASS information on the actual setting used would be necessary to determine a "when used" effectiveness. Where this is not possible, an "as used" effectiveness can be estimated. A teardown study will be used to determine cost. The evaluation may require several years until sufficient crash data accumulate.
    Looks like a requirement as far as being in compliance with crash test ratings......

So if your honda didnt have it.....how safe is a Honda?
    Last edited by sstoner911; 08-06-2011 at 06:51 PM.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

My wifes 2010 Mazda 6 doesn't autolock....If this is a fed mandate than why doesn't the Mazda auto lock? There are several vehicles produced that don't have power locks so if the feds were making it a law than there wouldn't be a vehicle produced without power locks.

I have a farm so I know how much of a pain it is to have the doors auto lock and actually that is why I have my W/T. It has rubber floors so crap off of it is easy. The windows roll down manually and the reason why is if you have driven down too many rough dirt roads and pastures most of the power windows stop working. I have had this happen on several GM trucks and friends who own Fords same problem.

Seems to me GM could re-program the doors not to auto-lock and all you would have to do is sign a waver. This would take all of the legal liabilities off of them.

Quote Originally Posted by icemncmth View Post
    My wifes 2010 Mazda 6 doesn't autolock....If this is a fed mandate than why doesn't the Mazda auto lock? There are several vehicles produced that don't have power locks so if the feds were making it a law than there wouldn't be a vehicle produced without power locks.

I have a farm so I know how much of a pain it is to have the doors auto lock and actually that is why I have my W/T. It has rubber floors so crap off of it is easy. The windows roll down manually and the reason why is if you have driven down too many rough dirt roads and pastures most of the power windows stop working. I have had this happen on several GM trucks and friends who own Fords same problem.

Seems to me GM could re-program the doors not to auto-lock and all you would have to do is sign a waver. This would take all of the legal liabilities off of them.
    I dont thing it is a "mandate", but it seems GM has taken steps to ensure their vehicle is as safe as possible as put forth by the NHTSA standards. I could be wrong but I think the standards are voluntary..its up to the vehicle manufacture to implement them.

All of this also plays in to insurance rates etc....

mine does the same thing! god damn childproof lighters

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/DoorLocks/DoorLocks_NPRM.html

The way I read this is that in order for a vehicle to comply with doors remaining closed during a crash, the exterior handles etc have to deactivated, hence the auto locking doors.

Looks like a requirement as far as being in compliance with crash test ratings......

So if your honda didnt have it.....how safe is a Honda?
    Coming back here since the thread has been bumped...

I didn't say my Honda doesn't have autolocks. It came that way from the factory. What the Honda DOES provide is the ability for me to CHOOSE to turn it off. Can you show me the reference in the NHTSA document that prevents a company (either Honda or GM) from providing a "no automatic locking" mode?

The only way to really comply with the rules is to send when a crash is occurring and disabling the INTERIOR doorlocks. Locking the external handles (either with autolock or manuallock) doesn't ensure that doors are locked during a crash.

I still insist that providing an option for me to keep my doors unlocked doesn't violate the NHTSA guidelines/rules. I can drive without my seatbelts, I can drive without headlights, etc.

No iam sure out doesn't violate anything giving you an option to by pass auto locks....I don't get what the big deal is...they lock when you put it in drive and unlock when you are in park .....if you need the door unlocked any other time hit the unlock button.

My guess why you don't have an option is that the number of the people who want to bypass it is very small and there may be some liability issues. Ya..you can drive without headlights at night but is that really smart? Population control in the sense you thin out the herd of the...well you get the point.

Along the same lines as this I just picked up a 2011 Suburban and it has a locking feature that royally ticks me off. I pulled it in the garage and left the keys partly in the ignition so they are there incase we have to shuffle cars around. I came back a little while later and the doors were locked. I thought that I may have hit the lock button on the way out so I didn't think anything of it. Earlier this evening I got out of my rig and shut the door with the keys partly in the ignition. I took a half a dozen steps and the horn beeps. I found this curious so I went back to the suv and found my doors locked again, This time 2 miles from my house and my cell phone in the center console. Needless to say I was not happy about walking home to retrieve the other set of keys and listen to the significant others jokes. I can't find how to shut this dumb feature off. I know I change the settings for locking while driving but nothing about locking with the keys inside and ignition off. Thanks