GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 97 tahoe fuel system problem.

I have a 1997 Tahoe with a fuel system problem. I have traced it down to the control box under the hood. From there back is solid. I removed the fuel relay and jumped the circuit and the pump works fine, what controls the relay?

a little more info would help....did you check the relay ? and the ECM controls the relay as far as i know thru the sensors and all on the EFI system !
    what does it do , or doesnt ...i should say .....I mean what is your problem ?

1996 Suburban K3500 SLT DUALLY
    1988 Camaro RS 383 stroker LT1
    1992 32' Aero-tek Race Boat, 600 CI BBC
    WE CAN STICK A DIESEL IN ANYTHING
    SPECIALIZED IN CUSTOM CONVERSIONS OF ANY KIND
    Scott:glasses:

Sorry for the lack of info. I replaced the fuel pump about 2 weeks ago. Today the fuel pump left me stranded. So I got the truck home and started at the fuel pump and worked my way back to the relay switch. I have no fuel pressure and no power getting to the pump. From the tank to the relay is in good shape, new pump. new relay switch but from there I don’t know wear to look?

Do you have a wiring diagram (even the one in Chiltons should show enough of the fuel pump circuit to work with)? The PCM closes the relay to turn the pump on and off. If you know the problem is at the relay, then the next step would be to determine if the PCM is telling the relay to close or if the relay is not responding to the PCM command.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Try reseting the computer. I have heard of this happening and I belive that by unhookin the battery for a few min to reset the computer fixes the problem. Try that first.

Good luck
    1995 C1500 4.3L 2WD. JET TBI Spacer, JET stage 1 chip, 10mm Taylor custom wires, Pulstar Iridium Pulse Plugs.
    260k miles and still going strong...

Have you checked for a signal from the ECM at the fuel pump relay, also not impossible to get a defective relay, if you still have the old relay give it a try.
    Last edited by Bigg Ron; 05-31-2011 at 04:01 AM.