GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default extremely bad autozone

ok here it is. both of my cv axle's are bad. i got 1 which is all they had in stock and after installing it i found its bad to. the old axle fell apart into pieces once removed so it can longer be used. the autozone at 1813 1ST CAPITAL
    ST CHARLES , MO 63301
    (636) 723-8804 manager Cory
    tells me to just take the cv axle back out and drive up there (with no cv axle installed) and he would give me a new cv axle. i told him it doesnt work that way. you need to have the cv shaft installed in the hub before driving it. he replies with his friend did it without a problem. i replied with im not your friend and i have no intention of buying a new hub from you to. so no, its not going to happen. he became confused and after a few ahh huh ahh's i got i dont understand why you think it needs something there. at this point his stupidity had done insulted me enough i just hung up.
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

sorry to hear this.. Have you spoken to a District Mang?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I got mine from NAPA for about $100.00 exchange each side and the saleman had a brain.LOL.

Sr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Don't waste your time with Autozone for CV axles. O'reilly auto parts has better CV axles. Especially if they are going on a lifted truck. I replaced my buddy's CV's and they were both bad so we took them back and went to O'reilly and got two good ones. just my two cents

07 Silverado 1500 5.3L extended cab
    4" Rancho Suspension lift with Adjustable Shocks
    2" Leveling kit
    1.5" Zone Offroad body lift
    35x12.50 R 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    Ranch Hand Grille Guard
    Ranch Hand Rear Bumper
    Tow mirrors
    Color matched grey/silver Bushwacker fender flares
    Dual exhaust from cats back with X pipe coming out 5" tips
    Black Tool box
    Edge CTS Programmer
    Proliner Spray in bedliner
    20% tint all the way around

Blog Entries

I second using O'Reilly's. The closest one to me is 26 miles, and the closest auto parts store is a Napa just 5 miles. I gladly drive to O'Reilly's because of the knowledgeable staff that actually HELPS!
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Sr. Apprentice

Thats one of the problems with getting auto parts. The Napa near me has much more experienced people than the local autozone or any other place. They are a family owned place and have been in business for 30 plus years. I think that the quality of parts are pretty much the same and the we can get bad parts from any place but what we really need to look for is employees that know what they are talking about and are willing to truly help you. I am sure that you had a bad experience but I would suggest looking for a place that has experienced employees willing to go the extra mile rather than saying that any one brand is no good.
    1991 Chevy Suburban, 190K, 1500 1/2 ton, 5.7L, 3:42 gears, 4X4, stock tire size, stock suspension set up.

Sr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

From my experience, I get my suspension/mechanical stuff from O'reilly and my brakes from Advanced. Other than that I usually don't buy too much from the other places. O'reilly's in my area tends to be about $10 cheaper than the rest and I have had no problems with their stuff.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I get 99% of my parts from Advance. And the CV axles i have gotten in the past have held up and i paid $96 after tax with a lifetime warranty.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

I think it all comes down to finding a person in any auto parts store that knows there stuff. I go to the NAPA store because the salesman I use has been there forever.

I usually get everything from auto zone because of there warranty policies. I have put in many half shafts from A Z and never had a problem with one. I have bought one pair of pads after replacing them three times now. Only problem i have ever had was with a alternator that tested good on their machine but didn't work in the car. really you can drive your 4 wheel drive vehicle without a half shaft in the front. I have done it in an old chevy work truck from kentucky to ohio. blew the shaft near the tire so cut the boot near the axle pulled out the middle of the shaft and continued on. it was 2am on the way home from being gone for two weeks. but i understand your frustration totally!
    "If it ain't one thing, it's a mother******g nother"

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by