GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Headlights won't TURN off. Help!

Hey everyone.

In my 99 silverado my headlights will not turn off. Daylight or night time they will not shut off. They will shut off if I apply the parking brake so I have eliminated that part of it.I have tried pushing the dome override button four times and that didn't make any difference. I recently got ahold of a manual and it does troubleshooting with a gm scanner tool. I dont have a scanner or access to one. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so how was it fixed? I tore the dash apart today and didnt find any loose connections as I could see. Starting with the simple stuff. any suggestions of what maybe it would be? would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,

Billetman
    Nick- Kansas
    1994 Camaro (3.4L)
    1999 Silverado Z71 (5.3L)

Master Mechanic

You have tried using the little turn nob at the dome over-ride button right?
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Blog Entries

Dumb question, but is there something covering the little sensor on your dash? If there is something covering it, your headlights will automatically come on since it will think it's dark. Here is a picture from the outside of the truck of the sensor I am talking about in my dads 99 Silverado:

I had a receipt covering the one in my truck and my lights were on constantly. And my old company truck I drove at my old job was missing that sensor completely, so the lights were constantly on. Just a thought.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

kylez71, yeah ive tried the knob at the override button, didnt make any difference.
    jemmeh, theres nothing covering the sensor, I had the dash tore apart yesterday and I could see the wire that plugs into the sensor. It had a good connection from what I can see. I didnt get to carried away with taking the dash apart so I couldnt see where that wire lead to.

Thanks
    Billetman