GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Improving Ride Quality of 2010 Yukon XL

I'm considering a minor lowering kit (2/4) for my Yukon XL to help with looks, body roll, etc. I'll probably add an aftermarket anti-sway bar. I'm also considering other options to improve the overall ride quality while I'm at it. Given the length and weight of the truck, I must admit the stock ride quality is pretty good.

Can it be improved significantly (i.e. to justify the expense) with higher end aftermarket options - e.g. air bags, coil over kits, etc.? Is air suspension over the top for this vehicle? If so, any aftermarket parts/systems you'd recommend?

Pretty much everything you mentioned will help with ride quality. I would start with new/ better shocks for improved ride comfort, then go for the sway bar. I have one on my truck and you can definitely feel a reduction in body roll. Also, the type of tires you have will affect how your truck rides. A tire with a less aggressive tread will give you a smoother ride than an all terrain or mud terrain style tread pattern.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I think you have Air shocks in that. Sway bars and better tires will aways make for a better handleling ride. What is it that you don't like?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

It all depends on what you call ride quality. Some people what a softer ride, others like a slight stiffer ride. My wife and I like a slighly stiffer ride. We installed a Belltech 1.3"front and 3" rear spring lowering kit with Belltech adjustable front strut and rear shocks. Hotchkis sway bars. We think the ride is just right.

I'm not displeased with the ride quality, but if it can be better...plus, it gives me a reason to tinker. Full disclosure...I'm intrigued by air bags (e.g. Air Ride, etc.) sorta like a kid is intrigued with a new toy. Are air bags overrated? Will they outperform solid air shocks? Are they dependable? As you can see, I've never had experience with these things so I'm trying to get as much information as I can.

Airbags are great if installed properly, but you do have the possibility of more things to go wrong, leaks air compressor etc.. I like to keep things simple so thats why we went with the Belltech kit and Hotchkis sway bars.

Quote Originally Posted by csm View Post
    I'm not displeased with the ride quality, but if it can be better...plus, it gives me a reason to tinker. Full disclosure...I'm intrigued by air bags (e.g. Air Ride, etc.) sorta like a kid is intrigued with a new toy. Are air bags overrated? Will they outperform solid air shocks? Are they dependable? As you can see, I've never had experience with these things so I'm trying to get as much information as I can.
    I suggest if you truly like airbags, trade the yukon in and get a Land Rover LR4 , very nice ride with height controlled airbag suspension, plus alot more capable off roading.

My wife and I have the older LR3 2006 model and absolutely love it, gets up and goes, all wheel drive, really quiet driving, and drives awesome.
    2008 Silverado LTZ Crew 4x4 5.3L

Stock 20 w/ Cooper Zeon LTZ 33's
    Navigation
    DVD
    HD Trailering
    Alumiknox Black Truck Box
    Bilstein 5100's Leveling Shocks