GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Do you run the electric fans in conjuction with the engine fan or instead of?
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

judging from what side he mounts it to, I'd say he uses it in replacement of the fan on the motor...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I normally toss the stock fan and clutch head, as it just wears out the water pump and is not needed. the elec fan moves enough air for the motor an cooling...mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

well we took her out for a drive. it was 95 outside and the fan turned on at halfway on the stock temp guage and it cycle on and off. i might change the fan controler to turn on alittle higher and off alittle higher so the fan in off more but it should be good. i take her back out in the am....mike

Legend

Very "Cool" Mike!

Excellent write up, and awesome timing for me. I'm about to drop my engine back into my burb, and I'd really love to lose the clutch fan, and go electric, but not at $200+ for an electric setup.
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

this swap runs between $60-70 depending on cost of the junk yard fan the other hih dollar item is the constant duty relay---chek around as i seen it go from $15-60 by itself. tractor supplys seem to have the best price or look at the junk yard in 4X4s or motorhomes and converted van and limios for it i find them time to time and most alway all work (i bought a new one and it was junk and the free one i got from the junk yard is installed and working fine at this time....mike

Legend

I just want to say, thanks!

I used your write up as a model for my conversion from clutch fan to electric.
    The junk yard only had a fan setup from a lincoln. I think they said it was from a Mark IV. It was $100. Not a cheap fan, but not entirely unacceptable either.

It's a dual fan setup, and has three speed settings. I'm not sure of the specs. What I am sure of is that I have it set on the lowest speed setting, and the engine fluctuates between 165-180F, sitting still with high idle, and a 180F thermostat.

My radiator core is 17x34, and the fan assembly is 16x33, so it's got great coverage. It's also running on a 30 amp fuse, so the standard 30amp relay would be fine.

Plus, it's so much quieter than that clutch fan I had before. It sounded like a plane warming up on the tarmac.
    Last edited by TrailLeadr; 09-14-2007 at 10:16 PM.

That was awesome of Mike to share his idea. That will be great for your truck Patrick. I'm next in line for that conversion , when I get my project truck going.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

I want an electrical fan on the Savana, I was looking at FlexLite but it cost a lot of money $500 . Going to the junkyard isn't an option for me the radiator on an European car is to small
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

just look for the big trucks in the graveyard...like a public transportation bus, or virtually anything with a diesel pusher...they should all have electric fans since they're usually transverse mounted. Either that, or just the simple fact that they're in the back...they can't pull enough air in ;)
    Last edited by Crawdaddy; 09-14-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: fixing speeling errors