GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question I know one of you have the answer to this Topper/Cap question

I have had people tell me that a topper off of a 1999-2006 extended cab short box silverado will not fit on my 1999(newer body) regular cab short box. Is this true? One topper dealer said it will not fit properly but others said it would be just fine. Anyone know the answer? I hear the back of the cab is slanted more on extended then the regular cabs? Thanks in advance!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Tapper65 View Post
    I have had people tell me that a topper off of a 1999-2006 extended cab short box silverado will not fit on my 1999(newer body) regular cab short box. Is this true? One topper dealer said it will not fit properly but others said it would be just fine. Anyone know the answer? I hear the back of the cab is slanted more on extended then the regular cabs? Thanks in advance!

Eric
    I looked up and located the measures for Both Reg. Cab Fleetside Short Bed and Ext.Cab Fleetside Short Bed......for......the 2005" and the 1999" Silverado's.....they have the Following measurement's,

Below are the Measurement's for the a 2005" Silverado....Reg Cab and Ext Cab....both with Shortbed Fleetside's,
    Reg. Cab Fleetside ShortBed......Length Measurement of......77.76in's and a side to side, inside bed Measurement of....66.6in"....
    Ext. Cab Fleetside ShortBed.......Length Measurement of......77.76ins' and a side to side inside bed Measurement of.......66.6ins"

Below are the Measurement's for the 1999" Silverado.....Reg. Cab and Ext Cab....both with Shortbed Fleetside's,
    Reg Cab Fleetside Short bed.......Length Measurement of......77.8ins" and a side to side, inside Bed Measurement of.......64.9ins".
    Ext. Cab Fleetside Short bed.......Length Measurment of........77.8ins" and a side to side, in side Bed Measurement of......64.9ins"

Here is the Link I located the Measurement's from,
    http://www.gmupfitter.com/body_builder_manuals.html

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks for the info. I was told the beds are the same but the issue is with the pitch of the back of the cab. The regualr is more strait up and down and the extended is more sloped... Can anyone confirm this? I suppose I could go look at some extended cabs...

Legend
    Blog Entries

There isnt enough of a difference to matter. The gap will large enough, and it will still look good.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

The bed sizes should be the same, and the specs listed above are probably for a classic 99 to have a difference like that. The cabs should be the same, and even if they are different though, it wouldn't be enough of a difference to affect anything. One thing to look out for though is that GM has a 'standard' box, which is what you have, and a 'short' box which is only 5'8", so whatever you buy, make sure it is the right length, as 'standard' boxes are often called short boxes.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Well, now I'm going to have to look for a reg. and extended cab trucks tomorrow and check 'em out. Thanks Tapper65. LOL.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses: