GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default System Build Log ~ Sound System

here the beginning of large sound system project

in the coming days there will be about 10 more pics

btw, this board, amps, and wires alone came in at 117lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0762.jpg   DSCN0763.jpg  
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I hope you are going to clean up those wires.. I can see a Ton of engine noise coming from that. What Alt are you useing? Do you have everything Fused right?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

already performed a test run and no engine noise at all. thats the reason for using a relay switch for the activation. if i run the activation straight from the head unit to the amps then yes i would get noise. the current alt is a 140amp with a 40%od pulley. and no the od pulley is not for extra power. it doesnt work that way. the od pulley is for max charge from the alternator at idle. in the near by future the sound system will have its own 16v 250amp alt. the only thing from the truck that will connect with the sound system will be the rca wires. and as for fuses, hells no i didnt fuse anything in this truck. i use circuit breakers only. between the front hook ups and aft batteries i have 4 150amp circuit breakers. in addition even though i smoke, the no smoking signs went up since i intend to install a flame sensor hooked up to a CO2 system. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/adv...ID=FIRESYSTEMS it should only be about 2-3 weeks for the new alt and supplies that i need to fabricate a bracket to mount it. still working on the front door speakers atm. the location that i want to mount then ended up not deep enough for the speakers so i had to fab some mounting baskets for the front door speakers. the mid section 6.5 components are in and the back 5 1/4 components will be a fast install. then comes the joy of running all of the speaker wires. yyaaaaaahhhhh. i would most likely have more fun attempting to dig my eye out with a base ball.
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

Those 3 12's must be awesome in that box, how many watts are you running for all 3? Looking forward to the rest of the build
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

the last amp pushing them was a jbl 1200.1. i did the voltage check and used the watt formula to see what the true watts came to. at 3.1 ohms it came to 1482. the planet audio amp is close to about 20% stronger. ill test the planet audio amp after its all installed for an exact watt reading. and yes, even with the lesser of my 2 mono blocks it was nuts. its going to be retarded once i have 6 subs in there.

What model are those JL Audio subs? They look like 12W3s.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

At what Volts are they making that power?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

thats with the engine running so roughly around 12.5 to 13vdc

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    What model are those JL Audio subs? They look like 12W3s.
    nope, they are 12w1v2 8ohm each.

the w3's have a solid black cone with a w3 emblem on the bottom much like the w7's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0750.jpg  
    Last edited by mudpuppy; 06-06-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Legend

And the W3's handle 400-500 RMS while the W1's are only about 150-200 ea...

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    And the W3's handle 400-500 RMS while the W1's are only about 150-200 ea...
    you are correct about the w3's. however a little off with the w1v2's the 12w1v2 handles 300rms http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast