GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Need Part Number for CORRECT Fog Lamp Wiring Harness Assembly

Hello, I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 Z71. The wiring harness connection for one of my Fog Lights was damaged so I went to the dealer to order a new plug wiring assembly. They ran my VIN and ordered me p/n 12102664. The problem is that the plug on this assembly does not fit in the Original Fog Light Bulb and when comparing it to the remaining original plug, it is almost identical in shape except for the replacement plug I have has a single slot in the center and the OEM plug has 2 slots off center to accomodiate the "fins" on the Fog Light Bulb.

I took the new assembly to a parts store to see if I could find a fog bulb that would fit the harness. I discovered the assembly I have fits the headlight bulbs but does not fit the proper replacement for my fog lamp bulb. I called back to the dealer and they said ther system tells them this part. It is obviously NOT the right part. I have compared my new assembly to other pictures online and I do have the assembly for 12102664 is correct but this is NOT the proper assembly to connect to a fog lamp bulb style 9145. Please help!

Thanks
    Jason
    2005 Chevy 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Jason,

I would recommend searching gmpartsdirect.com. You can choose catalog at the top right of the page and then agree to the terms. You will then be able to search based on vehicle as well as part number. I would recommend putting this part number in the search box. It should then bring up similar parts. Please keep me posted.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

post was at 10:22 AM ----------

OK, well I think this has been resolved. It looks like the part number for the Fog Light Wiring Assembly is actually 12101898. Just wanted to post this for the record if anyone else runs in to this. Not sure why the wrong p/n is listed in the GM Parts system. Maybe Tricia can pass this on to whoever can get it corrected.

Thanks for the reply Tricia!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jason778 View Post
    post was at 10:22 AM ----------

OK, well I think this has been resolved. It looks like the part number for the Fog Light Wiring Assembly is actually 12101898. Just wanted to post this for the record if anyone else runs in to this. Not sure why the wrong p/n is listed in the GM Parts system. Maybe Tricia can pass this on to whoever can get it corrected.

Thanks for the reply Tricia!

Jason
    Did you buy this truck used? If it didnt come fogs and someone added them the parts may not match up with your VIN.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    Did you buy this truck used? If it didnt come fogs and someone added them the parts may not match up with your VIN.
    No, I bought the truck new and the Fog Lamps are a factory option. The problem here is not that they are spec'ing the wrong Fog Lamp plug assembly. The problem is that the assembly they are giving out for the Fog Lamp is really the assembly to connect to a headlight bulb. I now understand this is somewhat of an indursty standard to keep headlight bulbs from being used as a fog lamp and vice versa. As I understand it, this should cross multiple years and models. I suspect that my 2011 Tahoe also takes a 9145 Fog Lamp bulb. The correct connector p/n I mentioned earlier is the only assembly that will attach to a 9145 bulb, plain and simple.

I don't know if it is people reading the system wrong but I am led to believe the error is in the GM Parts database since I was given the wrong part number from 3 different sources. Considering all the different connectors, it does not suprise me that they could have a mistake. Maybe if they pull up a 2006 parts list, it would be correct; don't know.
    Last edited by jason778; 10-22-2011 at 08:31 AM.