GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Chrome Exhaust Tip Maintenance

I've noticed that it is pretty difficult to keep my chrome exhaust tips clean and when I had my exhaust installed, I remember the installer telling me to make sure I didn't forget about keeping them up. I haven't thought about this for quite some time, but today I was walking through a large parking lot and a saw a few older trucks with straight, dual exhaust. As I paid more attention, I began to notice that some of them had rusted out on the bottom portion of the exhaust tips. Others were rusted all around and many just looked too dirty to ever shine again.

So, to ensure that I don't run into these same problems, I'm wondering what I should do to maintain and preserve the chrome on these tips. Because water or condensation often accumulates in the tips, is there a need to take any extra precautions than would be taken to maintain chrome on any other surface?

Any experience/suggestions would be excellent. I'm very unfamiliar with chrome accessories, how to keep them polished, in good shape, etc. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

This is the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid:

Although, much of what I saw in the parking lot was a lot worse than this.

I do love chrome tips! even though they are hard to keep up. But on mine I use turtle wax chrome polish. Stuff is amazing. I was given a set of rusted out chrome step bars from my old truck. It was magical to see the rust pits disappear in front of me and when I removed the haze they looked like mirrors. I've always stuck with the stuff after that and never had any problems for three years.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Noxon #7 Metal Polish is also good cleans as well as shines. This will also work on Aluminum, Chrome, Pewter, Brass & Copper good stuf I think you can get it a Pep Boy's

Steve
    Hi my Name is Steve I have a 2004 Silverado Z71 Crew cab, silver berch in color and Live in Virginia Beach Va. I have installed JBA Stainless Steel Shorty Headers with Flowmaster 40, K&N 77 air intake, Taylor 409 Wires , Diablosport Predator Programer, Weston Bull Bar, Carage Works Grill, ReadyLift Leveling kit, Pioneer Navigation system, Viper two way Alarm with remote start, Rino hitch step, Factor 20 inch wheels with Nitto Graplers and that's it for now.
    :cool: Steve

Thanks guys, I'll give those a try. Do these products strictly clean and polish, or do they also protect from rust and such? Also, should this be applied on the exterior surface of the tips only or also on the interior (where the rust accumulated in the picture above) surface?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I run mothers aluminum wheel polish, with a buffing cloth mounted on my drill (its sold at harbor fright and is a solid cloth with a drill attatchment) it allows you to put more pressure onto the metal with the polish, and the inside of you tip will carbon up eventually, but the rust you show in the picture on the inside is unfortunately not going to come off since the heat and moisture inside the tip have cooked the chrome off, The polish that i reccomended and actually 99% of polishes act like wax, and help to not allow rust to to start.
    but for a rusting out tip, that is kinda the name of the game after 5 years or so here in MN even with proper maint. But in TX as long as you keep the outside nice and polished the inside as i said will eventually build up a lining of carbon and not allow rust.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

The rust you're seeing on the inside of the tip you posted the pic of is from the heat and the chemicals contained in the exhaust gas. The chroming can't take it and flakes off, revealing unprotected metal, which then rusts. I'd probably figure out some way to sand the inside of the tips and maybe paint them black with header paint or the like, something that can take the abuse that engine exhaust causes.

The chrome tips on my bronco still look pretty good, but they were welded on horribly from the exhaust shop and the insides are black from soot. I don't do any maintainence to them because I don't even wash the truck, much less polish chrome tips...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Stainless steel tips hold up much better, 3 years and 3 Pennsylvania winters later.....

Adam

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    Stainless steel tips hold up much better, 3 years and 3 Pennsylvania winters later.....

Agreed those still look good, but they can get pretty spendy compared to a std tip....

Great information. I'll just worry about the exterior of the tips for now then, I guess. If the interior of the tips rust out in the long run I suppose it wouldn't be too big of a deal to have them replaced. The tips themselves aren't much of a set back. I appreciate all the product information, though.

How often do you guys usually apply your chrome polish? Every detail? A couple of times a year/month ?

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Agreed those still look good, but they can get pretty spendy compared to a std tip....

Mine came with my cat back system so I didn't see the cost at the time, but for as little effort as I have to put into them I'd say they are worth it. They get a once over with Eagleone Nanowax every time I wash the truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by