GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Need exhaust advice.

Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with the 5.3 liter engine, and I'm considering a couple minor modifications in preparation for a road trip next month.

First - After reading JennaBear's sticky thread on intake systems, I'm thinking of adding the K&N drop-in replacement air filter, because this car is used for mostly in-town driving with the occasional road trip.

Second - I'm considering having a Magnaflow muffler installed, but I have a concern about how much louder my vehicle will become after the install.

I've spoken to two different muffler shops - the first of which installed a Magnaflow system on my 2000 Tahoe several years ago, which I love, but, it's just too loud for an everyday driver and family car in my opinion. The guy at the shop said that we could just use one of Magnaflow's quieter models, and it wouldn't be an issue.

I called a second local muffler shop and told him I was looking for performance and MPG, and he said that he would be wary of the loudness issue. He claimed that even if we used one of Magnaflow's quieter models it would still be significantly louder inside the vehicle - especially at certain RPM's and speeds. Furthermore, he said that I wouldn't really see an increase in fuel efficiency, so the risks outweighed the rewards in his mind.

So, I'm hoping that I can get some input from the good people here on this forum.

What say you?

Any aftermarket exhaust will be louder inside a SUV than a stock muffler. I run Magnaflows on my Silverado crewcab and my wifes Trailblazer and it is louder inside but we both like it. Exhaust sound is a personal thing. What is loud to you may be nice to me. LOL. As far as MPG's, the increase in a gas truck is maybe 1-2 mpg's, maybe.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Silverado is right, the muffler isnt going to help you a lot as far as MPG unless you go with a performance exhaust, and you will get a lot more exhaust noise. So if your concerned about how much louder its going to make your Tahoe I would just stick with your stock set up.

1990 chevy K1500
    True dual 2 1/2in exhaust, Glasspacks
    K&N Air filter
    Bull bar w/ KC daylighters