GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default tahoe/k2500 swap

The transmission is shot on my 96 tahoe, and I managed to get ahold of a 94 k2500, for parts. The tahoe has 285k on it, and the k2500 has 85k, and less than 2k on a rebuilt transmission, but has a snapped frame. So I am going to swap the transmission, and the engine over. Looking over my tahoe, the leaf springs are shot, as well as a few other items, and I'm thinking of just swapping over the whole drivetrain, as well as the suspension. most people are telling me that everything will bolt in, but there are a few others saying I'll have an issue with the differentials, amongst other things. So I figured now would be a good time to ask you guys before I get started. Any thoughts? Planning on starting next weekend. Thanks in advance everyone!!

Differential (front) and rear springs wont fit without heavy modification.
    You could use the engine/trans/T Case, there'll be a little modification required here but not bad, some wiring to sort out and a few new bolt holes to tap.
    The rear axle can be made to fit but again it's gonna take some mods to get it in there.
    In reality the 1500 and 2500 trucks dont share a lot the same when it comes to the drivetrain and frame.

Jr. Apprentice

ah, ok, lol. Thanks, figured it would be a little to good to be true. For the time being, I'll just be happy to be able to go above 2nd gear. Thanks for the info!

on the late 90's trucks the 2500 and 1500 leaf springs had same profile and mounting points so rear should fit but front is diffrent i believe. but they may be similar so id mesaure all the parts and see if they will fit cuz alot should except for the drive shafts.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Jr. Apprentice

I've heard that about the driveshafts a lot. I've also been told, that if the mounts for the leaf springs don't fit, then I can actually unbolt, and take apart the individual leafs, and replace the ones on my tahoe. which would be nice, lol, 2 out of the 4 are cracked in half on the driver side

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

looked it up at work (I work at Advance) both trucks use the same cv axles, so that will be nice to swap as well.

nice that great and what did u do to ur poor tahoe to crack the leafs ive run over a stump in mine i mean a stump almost higher then the suspension clearence and not a problem. and this was just two weeks ago the truck has 194,000 miles

Jr. Apprentice

I bought it that way, lol. Has 285,000 on it, and was sitting for 2 years before I got it, so I couldn't tell you how it happened