GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Driver door speaker

My driver's side door speaker has crapped out on me... sounds busted, even though I don't listen to music loudly. Where can I get a good (but cheap) replacement and are they hard to get to?
    Matt
    Wichita Falls, TX
    2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Classic LS 4x4, 4.8L
    Thrush Welded muffler, dual exhaust
    HELO MAXX6 18" Rims, Torza Tri Fold tonneau cover :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by mvoss2576 View Post
    My driver's side door speaker has crapped out on me... sounds busted, even though I don't listen to music loudly. Where can I get a good (but cheap) replacement and are they hard to get to?
    You will need to remove the door panel to get to the speakers.....Below is a link with step by step Instruction's.....on remove the door panel.....as far as speakers....take a look at CrutchField.....they carry just about every speaker made today.....and the speaker size is....6-1/2in,

Link,
    http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...move_brbn.html

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend
    Blog Entries

and anything other than stock will be more than sufficent since the factory GM speakers are junk in the non bose/monsoon models.
    Im personally going to best buy to replace mine... CHEAP!!!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    and anything other than stock will be more than sufficent since the factory GM speakers are junk in the non bose/monsoon models.
    Im personally going to best buy to replace mine... CHEAP!!!
    X2, anything is better than stock. How much are you willing to spend for new speakers? I got a pair of Rockford Fosgate's for $60 shipped and for the amount I paid, they're great.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Yeah speakers can be very cheap. Like everyone else said go ahead and buy one for each door and I think you'll be pleased with whatever you end up with.

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

They are cheap, I'm running mine tell they blow then I will buy new ones .. LOL ... right rear has since produce no sound at all .. one more then I will get them replaced !! I would replace all your factory speakers, sooner or later the rest are going to go south on ya.

long time rockford fosgate guy !! (thats what I would replace them with imo)

Hi guys im in a similar situation, i need to test my speakers and i know for sure the left front speaker is turning on and off im not sure if this is a blown speaker or Blown speaker + disconnected wire issue. is there a way to test connectivity without removing the door panels?

Well there is a way but it involves tracking wires in the cab and you'll probably have to end up removing some type of molding. The door panels really aren't that hard to remove and I would say is your best bet at solving your problem.

mvoss, the same thing happened to me on my '08: driver's side door speaker went kaput. I don't less to music extremely loud either. I noticed one day the headlight warning chime was very faint, then I started playing around with the balance and fader. The speaker was operating intermittently. Luckily it was still under warranty, so I let the dealership take care of it. I don't expect much from factory speakers, but damn, you are the third person I've heard that had the same problem.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Quote Originally Posted by drwombat View Post
    Hi guys im in a similar situation, i need to test my speakers and i know for sure the left front speaker is turning on and off im not sure if this is a blown speaker or Blown speaker + disconnected wire issue. is there a way to test connectivity without removing the door panels?
    Get a rubber mallet and bang around the door, see if anything gets better LOL ... anyways yea, best bet would be take off the door panel. GMT800s are a little easier (imo) GMT900 is a bit more of a job, more bolts to deal with. You could also test when vehicle is parked, see if it sound alrite if it is going in out with decent quality then probably loose connection somewhere, or just tune into that speaker and drive around, hit a couple pot holes and it comes in and out (without a bunch of crackling, popping hissing) then its probably a loose wire.

If I have to take my door panels to troubleshoot speakers I would just buy new ones (unless you already have aftermarket) --- i hate dealing with door panels

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by