GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Founds subs, dont know what amp to get

Ok so i found the subs i want, i plan on getting 2.
    heres a link if you wanna see too
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...orm_CR12D.aspx
    but i picked these cause they just fit (top mount depth wise) in the the sub box i plan on getting for my truck. I know you not really to look at the watts its uses but rather the rms which is 700 for these. And its a dual coil 4 ohm sub. I tried to do some research but its confusing. I understand that dual coil 4 ohm can be wired together to make it 2 ohm, but the confusing parts comes when trying to pick an amp.
    I saw this one and thought maybe it was good
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...m_EV2500M.aspx
    This one sars it has 1750 rms (which i read is sometimes better just to be slightly higher in rms than your subs so you dont over work you amp)
    but im confused, do i need an amp that pushes 700 rms or 1400 rms? Im confused when reading the specs of an amp and it says something like
    this is for the amp there
    Max power 2 ohm 2500W x 1
    RMS power 4 ohm1000W x 1
    but then i would see this on another one

Max Power @ 1 Ohm: 2600W x 1
    Max Power @ 2 Ohm: 1800W x 1
    RMS Power @ 2 Ohm: 1200W x 1
    Max Power @ 4 Ohm: 1400W x 1
    RMS Power @ 4 Ohm: 750W x 1

It just confuses me, can anyone help me out here?

2006 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
    3" Body and 2" Level Kit by Performance Accessories
    FlowMasters American Thunder Dual Exhaust
    Cobra CB radio with a PA speaker
    Westin Brush Guard with 2 KC offroad lights
    Spectre Performance Cold Air Intake with a Airaid TBS
    35/12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T on 17x9 Ballistic Wizard Rims
    Tractor Supply Black Diamond Low Profile Toolbox, with 8' Whip antenna
    Big "Redneck" sticker and aftermarket confederate Z71 Sticker

Quote Originally Posted by redneckchevy View Post
    Ok so i found the subs i want, i plan on getting 2.
    heres a link if you wanna see too
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...orm_CR12D.aspx
    but i picked these cause they just fit (top mount depth wise) in the the sub box i plan on getting for my truck. I know you not really to look at the watts its uses but rather the rms which is 700 for these. And its a dual coil 4 ohm sub. I tried to do some research but its confusing. I understand that dual coil 4 ohm can be wired together to make it 2 ohm, but the confusing parts comes when trying to pick an amp.
    I saw this one and thought maybe it was good
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...m_EV2500M.aspx
    This one sars it has 1750 rms (which i read is sometimes better just to be slightly higher in rms than your subs so you dont over work you amp)
    but im confused, do i need an amp that pushes 700 rms or 1400 rms? Im confused when reading the specs of an amp and it says something like
    this is for the amp there
    Max power 2 ohm 2500W x 1
    RMS power 4 ohm1000W x 1
    but then i would see this on another one

Max Power @ 1 Ohm: 2600W x 1
    Max Power @ 2 Ohm: 1800W x 1
    RMS Power @ 2 Ohm: 1200W x 1
    Max Power @ 4 Ohm: 1400W x 1
    RMS Power @ 4 Ohm: 750W x 1

It just confuses me, can anyone help me out here?
    Max power is you peak power at the amps max output at the need volts from your battery.for example an amp might list its peak power as 1500watts at 14.4 volts. Your rms power is what the amp puts out constantly or continually.

Those subs you are lookimg at are 700 watts rms...that's the power they can handle all day long according to the manufacture. 1500 peak is what the max power spike s it can handle. iam not familier with that brand but I would not run more that the rms power to them.

You can run those subs at 2 or 4ohm and you should get an amp that is around 800 rms at 4 or 2 ohm
    Last edited by sstoner911; 06-14-2011 at 01:33 PM.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

ok thanks so if im running these both these subs that have a 700rms rating on an amp that pushes 800rms it would be enough to power these right without under powering them or over powering them?
    But would i look for one that would say:
    RMS Power @ 2 Ohm: 800W x 1
    RMS Power @ 4 Ohm: 800W x 1 ??
    think this one would be good enough? http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...rm_F2600D.aspx
    Ive read the SoundStorm may be a cheaper brand but they actually work very well.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Check to see what other people say about them before you buy.. There is a reason why they are low priced.... Becareful....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by redneckchevy View Post
    ok thanks so if im running these both these subs that have a 700rms rating on an amp that pushes 800rms it would be enough to power these right without under powering them or over powering them?
    But would i look for one that would say:
    RMS Power @ 2 Ohm: 800W x 1
    RMS Power @ 4 Ohm: 800W x 1 ??
    think this one would be good enough? http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...rm_F2600D.aspx
    Ive read the SoundStorm may be a cheaper brand but they actually work very well.
    The subs are dual voice coil 4 ohms - if you run them at 4 ohms you arent working the amp as hard... so a Mono amp @ 4 ohms 800x1 should be good for example.

One thng I have found going with cheap audio brands you usually end up buying something better down the road and spending more money in the long run.

I have seen guys run these subs:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...r_07C12-4.aspx

They run 300 watts and I have even seen some guys run 600 watts and these things pound in the right box. You can have the best subs and amp but if the sub box sucks so will the sound. Those guys running 300 watts sound better and louder than guys I know running 1500 watts sometimes.

On the other hand I have seen guys at competitions with setups ( two 12" subs, amp, box) that were purchased for under 500 bucks that sound decent and hit hard - but even those guys upgrade once they can afford it.

Your sub enclosure is the most important component - it can make or break your system. More power doesn't always mean louder and better sounding.

Check out this deal:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...er-07C124.html

ok thanks for all your help man, yea i aint looking for nuttin to shatter my windows, just something decent