GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Help with my project truck!

Alright so im planning on doing some serious work to my truck this summer. My plan is to completly rebuild the motor, bore it .10 over, and add headers for starters. Past that however I havent done much planning yet, so I thought why not get some ideas from some die hard chevy fans? ...My goal is 350+ horesepower on as little money as possible. I think a stock motor in 90' had around 210 HP? So let me know what you think everyone, im anxious to hear your thoughts!

The project truck is a 1990 Chevy K1500 shortbox.
    True dual exhaust 2 1/2in, with Glasspacks.
    A stock 350 with a K/N air filter. Ill attach a pic.
    The ol' girl likes the mud so shes dirty ...but you can see its stock.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	28015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine 2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	28016

1990 chevy K1500
    True dual 2 1/2in exhaust, Glasspacks
    K&N Air filter
    Bull bar w/ KC daylighters

I would look at Edelbrocks " SYSTEM" for your truck. Its a intake maniflod, heads, camshaft, headers and a new E-Prom (chip) tuned for the system. I think you can get this kit without the heads.But if your looking for 350 hp then you'll need the heads.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

If you are already getting machine work done why not go .30 over? I know it is a popular thing to do. What trans do you have? If it the original from 90 I would get it rebuilt. I think the 700r4 is what came back than. I believe that is when that trans had issues. They have since come out with upgrades to greatly improve them.

X2 on the Edelbrock stuff.

I will definately have to check out that Edelbrock stuff it sounds like a pretty sweet deal...and ya it has the 700R4 trans. I already planned on doing trans work because it is getting weak like all the 700's do. I was debating on either rebuilding it or getting a completly new one, because you can get one that is heavy duty and offroad ready fairly cheap now. Thats why Im trying to keep the engine budget as low as possible.

Sr. Mechanic

See if you can pick up a 350 from a caprice, they are the same engine but came with roller type valve train. You can build that block and use all of your acessories when you get ready to install in the truck. It gives you an option of being able to drive while you build, and the blocks are easy to find and fairly cheap due to their quanity.

The roller valves will free up a couple of HP and allow a higher rpms due to the design. If she loves the mud, then all the hi revs wont hurt so bad.

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

kburb- would a 400 bolt up to what he has? it is a stronger tranny than the 350 and 700.

will be alot of money

Why not get a 96+ vortec 350 from the yard and build that? What is your budget? If you are getting the block machined .010 over I would have everything else checked too (crank, rods, etc...). KBURB is right...you will save down time just building another motor and you can find them in any u-pull it for $100 + removal. Scat 383 rotating assy will wake that truck up!!

Alright guys im getting lots of great ideas from this thanks a lot! It is a fairly new motor, I purchased the truck from an older lady and she had the motor replaced, so im estimating only 30k-50k miles on it. I also talked my dad (professional mechanic) HAHA ..to help me rebuild the transmission. I found a big crack in my radiator a couple days ago so i had to replace it, I purchased a big aluminum radiator because I got a great deal! Im going to go ahead and replace the water pump while im doing the radiator because I think it might be worn out as well.

For the record, it's a 1990 pickup, it does not have the 700R4 in it. It actually has the 4L60E, which is the newer computer-controller version of the 700R4. Big difference in how the transmission is controlled, and which upgrades apply. If the transmission's still the original, it's probably a decent idea to rebuild it and upgrade it, but not entirely neccesary.

For the motor, I would also go the Edelbrock Power Package route. That's the route I'm currently planning on taking with mine. Just make sure you get the package for the throttle-body injection setup, otherwise you might have some incompatibilities and odd performance characteristics. The kit's going to cost about 2 grand, plus other parts for the rebuild. But, that should really wake the engine up and hopefully get you into the performance numbers you're looking for.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by