GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm wondering what are the long-term effects on the engine using CNG?

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    I'm wondering what are the long-term effects on the engine using CNG?
    Most of the wear and tear on the engine comes from the fact that the CNG is not lubricated like gasoline is. CNG is a gas not a liquid and a dry gas at that. However, most newer enignes have hardened valves which is what dedicated CNG engines have. The hardened valves are needed to resist the non-lubricating CNG. When the system is set up right, CNG burns cleaner than gasoline so engine life is prolonged due to less carbon buildup. The key is to have the CNG system set up right.

Jared:glasses:
    2003 Bi-Fuel 2500HD CNG/Gasoline (equivalent 40 MPG)
    2003 Bi-Fuel Cavalier CNG/Gasoline (equivalent 90 MPG)
    2011 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Highmarker View Post
    Lapine Rider,

I believe "useful life" is less than 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles. Your '95 K3500 is well outside it's useful life.

Thank you for your kind reply. Do you happen to recall your source material for that, by chance? I'm very serious about proceeding with this in the next few months, and I'd like to have my legal issues covered as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapine Rider View Post
    Thank you for your kind reply. Do you happen to recall your source material for that, by chance? I'm very serious about proceeding with this in the next few months, and I'd like to have my legal issues covered as best I can.
    Lapine Rider,

Here is the EPA's website on alternative fuel conversions. All the information you need is there. Happy reading.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/fue...s/altfuels.htm

About a 1/4 down the page there is a link to Light Duty Vehicle Outside Useful Life Notification Package.

Lapine Rider,

Here is the EPA's website on alternative fuel conversions. All the information you need is there. Happy reading.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/fue...s/altfuels.htm

About a 1/4 down the page there is a link to Light Duty Vehicle Outside Useful Life Notification Package.
    Thank you again _very_ much! The earliest date I even saw listed was 1998, so I doubt anyone will get too excited about a mod on my 1995. It's appreciated!

Several members have asked that I "spill my beans" on compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles or natural gas vehicles (NGV).

First off, I will tell you a little about myself. I am a design engineer working a company that does research and development on composite overwrapped pressure vessels (COPVs) - like paintball cylinders, self-contained breathing cylinders (SCBA) for firefighters, compressed natural gas cylinders, high pressure hydrogen cylinders, the list goes on. I have designed and tested my fair share of high pressure (3,000 psi +) tanks.

Now onto the world of CNG. NGVs have been around for a long time, the first NGV was invented back in the 1920's. NGVs have slowly gained some ground and now there are approx. 150,000 NGVs in the US today. There are two main reasons why NGVs have not taken over the automotive industry like in other countries:

1. Chicken and egg issue - What do you have first, cars that run on natural gas or fueling stations to fill the cars that run on natural gas? The automakers don't want to mass produce NGVs because there is not a lot of fueling stations. The fueling station manufacturers don't want to make fueling stations if there are no NGVs to fill up.

2. Three letters - E.P.A. - This is a heated topic. There are good arguments on both sides. The EPA is concerned because it is possible to convert a vehicle to run on both gasoline and CNG and have the CNG burn DIRTIER than gasoline. Yes, CNG can burn dirtier than gasoline. If the guy doing the conversion does not know his stuff, then you can burn up a cat in no time and also either the hydrocarbons, CO, or NOx will go through the roof. The EPA has a mandate out that it is illegal to tamper with the OBD emissions system of the original manufacturer unless you have an exemption from the EPA to do so. This is only valid for a vehicle which is within its "useful life". This has created a "bottle neck" for aftermarket conversion shops to convert vehicles to CNG. The EPA has recently relaxed their rules a little bit but still require that the converted vehicle be tested to prove that it runs cleaner on CNG than on gasoline.

With NGVs, safety is the main concern. All CNG converted vehicles should comply with NFPA 52 installation code. High pressure gas is a serious thing and should not be underestimated. Now, don't be scared, CNG is actually safer than gasoline. When you get into an accident, and your gasoline tank is punctured, the gasoline just pools on the ground and if there is a fire - bye bye. With CNG, when there is an accident most likely the tank will not rupture (it is designed to withstand serious loads). If there is a fire, the natural gas will not ignite. Natural gas can only ignite if the air-fuel ratio is between 5% and 15%. In other words, not enough air - natural gas will not ignite, too much air - natural gas will not ignite. If your tank vents the gas due to a fire, then the gas will float away. Natural gas is lighter than air.

The key here is finding someone who "knows their stuff" on performing a good solid conversion. I have seen my fair share of shady conversions that even scare the crap out of me. Don't sacrifice safety for money.

Now on to your questions....

CNG searches on Google are getting popular again.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Thats because there is an abundance of Natural gas.. They were drilling and/or Hydrofracking here in the northeast so much that all of sudden it came to a halt mainly because they were finding more than they could sell. Also there are a lot of people against the hydrofracking and encouraging towns to put moritoriums on it until more information on its safety/health hazards are known. I was watching a government channel the other day and they anticipate that natural gas usage will increase 50% in the US by the year 2030. only 16 years away.. Looks like I wont have a problem finding work for the rest of my working days.. Ive been working in the natural gas industry for 15 years and a few years before that actually worked on a natural gas drilling rig for a couple years. Theres a lot of deteriorating pipelines out there that are climbing 100+ years old and if they are not replaced bad things happen.. We usually see on the news a good handfull of explosions every year due to the infrastructure falling apart. I have even replaced some of the plastic gas lines that were buried in the early 80's that are failing due to the oxidation of the plastic and are getting brittle. Im actually looking at getting some training to become a pipeline inspector when my body doesnt allow me to do the work im doing now. I think eventually there will be a call for it as soon as the government clamps down on some of the gas companies that have deteriorating systems.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

As supply increases, so will demand.
    Local power utility here where I am, is going to break ground soon for a new NG power generation station to replace an existing converted coal station.
    A local municipal city wanted to convert some of their fleet to CNG, but they seem to be at odds with their insurance carrier as they won't permit the city to construct/operate their own CNG refueling station.

I'm not opposed to CNG as a fuel option, I hope its popularity lasts longer than LPG did for on road use.
    2010 Silverado LT 1500 5.3L 4X4
    '95 BMW K1100LT
    '97 BMW K1100LT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123