GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Mechanic

I would guess this would void your trucks engine warranty? I had no idea it was so expensive, I assumed a few grand, but 12k, ouch

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

Quote Originally Posted by 383man View Post
    I would guess this would void your trucks engine warranty? I had no idea it was so expensive, I assumed a few grand, but 12k, ouch
    From what I've heard, any aftermarket conversion does not void the engine warranty unless it can be proven that the addition of the conversion kit was the root cause of the problem. I believe this is under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

There are conversion kits available for a "few grand", but those are coming out of China. No offense to the Chinese, but they are not US DOT certified nor EPA certified. Some tanks from China are also making their way in the US. These as well are not DOT certified nor NGV2 certified. In general, the US has stricter regulations regarding installation and safety features of the CNG system.

Jared:glasses:
    2003 Bi-Fuel 2500HD CNG/Gasoline (equivalent 40 MPG)
    2003 Bi-Fuel Cavalier CNG/Gasoline (equivalent 90 MPG)
    2011 Traverse

Master Mechanic

gotcha, ya 12k is well out of the range i'd like to be spending on a system. it's a quarter of what I paid for the truck lol. plus with my track record of buying a new truck every few years it doesn't make sense, for this to pay off you'd need to keep it for a long time seems like.

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

Quote Originally Posted by 383man View Post
    gotcha, ya 12k is well out of the range i'd like to be spending on a system. it's a quarter of what I paid for the truck lol. plus with my track record of buying a new truck every few years it doesn't make sense, for this to pay off you'd need to keep it for a long time seems like.
    That is why CNG is so "Fleet" freindly.

2011 Traverse

Pretty darn person friendly too if the EPA isn't involved or you get a tax credit to help make up for some of the EPA costs. It wouldn't cost very much if not for the EPA.

Biggest down side after it's said and done is you lost some space for the CNG tanks. But I won't hardly miss it, but in a short bed with big tanks, that might not work.

I have a sequential kit installed, closed loop, bi-fuel, follows the cars ECU exactly. It would pass any OBD II or smog check, and a 21 gallon tank (2028). Installed mine for $2200, total, finding good deals and doing the work (high mechanic ability required, and still takes a good 3 days of your time for a first timer, if nothing goes wrong). Payback is 4 months, payback over 8 years is around $50k compared to gas at current prices (and trust me, you'll be driving it a LOT more now Of course near Tulsa we have .88/gal natural gas. It's the equivalent of my truck (5.3L, 4x4, lifted, 33" tires) getting 70 MPG, money wise. It's now much cheaper to take the truck than the wife's 32 mph Altima.

Now there's an installer near OKC with a similar kit, and you'd be looking at around 5k plus tanks (anywhere from 500-5000 on tanks, just according to what expiration year, type, and size you get), then you get half that back as a state tax credit, so still reasonable and worth it. But you'd have to leave it with him a few days. Or you could to go Tulsa gas technologies and pay about 15k for this setup, good luck with that You can find some factory bi-fuel vehicles out there, but most are work trucks, long bed standard cab, but there are some decent ones too. They fetch a premium but nothing like 15k lol.

Dallas, Phoenix, Anywhere in Utah, there's a station now in Shreveport I think, a couple in Ft Smith, AR, all over Oklahoma... Go to cngprices.com to see locations and pricing. You can't hardly go dedicated yet but there's enough out there to do bi-fuel in a lot of the country.

You can't tell the difference on mine, it will switch to CNG around 1200 RPMs (CNG doesn't like idle speeds on a petrol engine). There's no bump, noticeable power difference, nothing. You will need a way to see your LTFT's to tune one right, and the software and data cables (cheap).
    Last edited by wescollins; 06-18-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Nice to hear that there are other CNG users on here.

2011 Traverse

@wescollins, Local Tulsan here too What "kit" did you buy and from where? Or did you just do it all ad-hoc?

Hello, Highmarker! Thanks for offering to help with a subject of great interest to me!

In your original post you said (in part)

"The EPA has a mandate out that it is illegal to tamper with the OBD emissions system of the original manufacturer unless you have an exemption from the EPA to do so. This is only valid for a vehicle which is within its "useful life". "

What exactly does "useful life" mean? I own a _very_ well-preserved 1995 K-3500 with a 350 and am considering having one of the more inexpensive dual-fuel conversions installed on it. Is 17 years of age outside it's "useful life"? I'll also note that I'm not subject to any kind of emissions inspection here, so nobody has to know but me.

Great info, thank you!
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

Quote Originally Posted by Lapine Rider View Post
    Hello, Highmarker! Thanks for offering to help with a subject of great interest to me!

In your original post you said (in part)

"The EPA has a mandate out that it is illegal to tamper with the OBD emissions system of the original manufacturer unless you have an exemption from the EPA to do so. This is only valid for a vehicle which is within its "useful life". "

What exactly does "useful life" mean? I own a _very_ well-preserved 1995 K-3500 with a 350 and am considering having one of the more inexpensive dual-fuel conversions installed on it. Is 17 years of age outside it's "useful life"? I'll also note that I'm not subject to any kind of emissions inspection here, so nobody has to know but me.
    Lapine Rider,

I believe "useful life" is less than 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles. Your '95 K3500 is well outside it's useful life.

2011 Traverse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast