GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1994 project truck

I've recently traded one of my motorcycles for a 94 5.7L stepside....I'm a diesel mechanic so I need some expert advice on a 4l60e tranny which is something I know nothing about, give me a super 10 anyday of the week,

I've scanned and no codes are coming up
    I've got power to the E pin on the transmission harness connector

My problem is- Engine runs good in park at an idle or with throttle but while in gear it is sluggish. very slow starting. I can reset the ecm and it'll take of like a bat out of hell for about 1/2 a block if I stop and start its back to being sluggish.

I have noticed that in manual first it seems like it has a brake on. all other gears roll through fine except for the lack of starting power.

Dale

Legend
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you have a similar problem to what i had that was motor related. I would check fuel pressure, as well as the Crank Position sensor, and when was the last time it had a cap and rotor etc done??
    If it is still moving then the 4L60E is still working. if you loose gears or it starts to slip is when you have a malfunction. The sunshell is one of the more prone areas to fail, however that is for OD.. So i would look at motor related issues such as above since when my Distributor went bad it ran exactly like you are saying. and when you do a fuel pressure test you need to have 12-15PSI. before the filter.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Welcome to the club, Dale. You said you just got this truck. Have you done anything to it like new fuel and air filters, plugs,cap, rotor, wires ,clean throttlebody etc.. If you don't know if this has been done I would start here.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Nope I haven't done a tune up on it yet. They guy I got it from changed the plug wires but not the plugs or the distributor cap. I guess I'll be tuning it up this weekend! lol. Engine stuff I can do but the auto tranny stuff is greek
    I had ruled out an engine problem since it seemed to be only a driveability problem that and the fact there are no dtc's

btw thanks for the quick responses

Legend
    Blog Entries

The OBD1 system in your truck is primative to say the least.. you will rarely get any codes for most problems. It is alot more of a hands on system than the OBD2... but that 350TBI will run FOREVER!!!
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Make sure you use A/C Delco factory type plugs. As many on this site including myself have found out GMs just seem to like A/C Delco's. Don't forget the fuel filter,these get forgotten because there mounted under the truck on the frame rail. (out of site, out of mind). I'd also remove the throttlebody and clean the top and bottom with a soft toothbrush and throttlebody cleaner, DON'T use carb cleaner.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Ok I just figured out how to find old posts...The main problem ended up being the guy that changed the wires had crossed two of them and the timing was about 30 degrees retarded. Fixed those and it started running great!