GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac View Post
    Sounds like a fun project. I need a top for my Carrera but it does not look like something I want to do my self. It has PIA wrote all over it.
    My car needs a top too... I just took a look at '86 carreras, and I think mine will be a much more user-friendly project than a carrera top. The roof on the spitfire is fairly simple - the only way to mess it up is to have a cheap top made rather than buying one from a real company (the people who hacked my car up did just that...)

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Today's progress:

I bought and installed a new battery, since the car didn't have one. I also bought a new alternator which I should be able to pick up tomorrow. I got one wheel stripped and painted silver (instead of the crappy blue) over the weekend. I pulled off the second back wheel and brake drum on the back over the weekend as well, and will be lubricating/adjusting that brake tomorrow. I will also run a new between the temperature sender and the gauge tomorrow and hopefully getting the backup lights working. Once those 2 things are done, I can start putting the interior back together.

Yesterday I finished lubricating the rear brakes and put the rear wheels back on the car. I tightened the bullet connectors on the headlight harness to make the lights work properly - I think I will replace those with some new sealed connectors. I wedged little pieces of metal between the ground contact and the mounting ring that doubles as the ground point on all of the tail/signal/reverse light sockets. They all work now... other than 2 of my new bulbs burnt out as soon as I reinstalled the sockets. Then I put the transmission tunnel cover back into the car (not bolted down yet, but it covers the moving parts.

After that, I drove it out of the garage and took it for the first drive around the neighborhood. The engine seems to be developing some sort of a top-end knock I'm going to have to deal with (only when idling though) and it still needs a new clutch - I got the current one unseized but it still doesnt fully disengage the transmission from the engine. This car is slow to accelerate and slow to stop (should stop better once the rear brakes are working and I install the new pads on the front brakes) but it sure is fun to drive. It's light enough that the manual steering isnt too much of an adjustment, but I did find myself braking unusually hard when I got back into the avalanche afterwards.

Nice toy . take your time and do it right. I had one we ran at Pikes peak. They are a sweet ride when everything is working correctly. Once completed it is mandatory to find the windiest road and run at top speed, when possible, and going through the gears, up and down.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    you drive (or fly) up here and I'm sure that could be arranged
    What part of Alberta? I would make the drive to take a spin in that baby. Gotta get my passport renewed first though. New rules.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    So you know about the bonnet and the boot too? LOL!
    Yup. and the nappy joke. My first wife was from South end on Sea
    I like Lorry and the loo along with Lollipop man
    Last edited by Coach24; 11-10-2011 at 11:59 PM.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456