GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Default Broken distributer!

So for a while now the Beast has had a little hiccup in the idle, no ses light or codes so I was testing resist/ce of the wires and noticed the cap was loose. I have never changed it but it has been changed in the 6 years I have owned it, hmmmmmmm. Well one of the PLASTIC rings for the mounting screws was broken so the cap was just flopping around. Of course it was the plastic that was on the distributer side and not the cap side, so a piece of plastic now warrents an entire new distributer at $300+, so I am going to try and fanagle some kind of clamp with a screw, washer and nut but with the back of the intake manifold right there I am not sure how well it will go. Any pointers or same experiance out there?
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

hose clamp might work. not sure how its all layed out.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Someone on this site found billet replacement distributor for your truck really cheap. He said he's had his for awhile and it works great. Hopefully he see your post. I'll try to see if I can find his post.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend

Well no luck with the screw but I loaded it with some high temp RTV sealer and we will see if that helps it until I can afford to get a new distributer. I am gonna have to do some hunting, maybe I can take it apart and get a junked distributer and rebuild with the good ring. PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY????? It gets brittle from heat, it can break with over torqueing!! I guess its just all part of the game!!

I think it was stephan that had the billet dist., I think.

Legend
    Blog Entries

The bushings in the Distibutor are what fried out and caused the ring to break. I know that up here in Northern Mn you can get a junk yard dist for $50... and that will do what you need it to. Just check for play before you buy it. Or else the local Craigslist. if you do happen to get it tight again it will just knock the back side of the ring out as well. That is the down side of the Vortec distributors. and the Billet ones can be had off of Ebay for $180 or less..
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    I think it was stephan that had the billet dist., I think.
    It was Daredevil that bought that dist STB. I've been looking for that same post but can't find it.

@ VCNJ, yep it's part of the game alright. It's called planned obsolescence, & is not limited to the automotive industry, but is part of every manufacturing industry worldwide.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

ha, found it. This is the one that DD Scott bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILLE...item3365a43e94
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Legend

Well i got a bandaid for it, i had some metal wire and just fashioned a strap for it using the one good screw and adding a washer to it and then getting another nut to go onto the last stud sticking up for the intake manifold. Worked great, until i have time and money to repair it, I just had my first day off of work in 34 days so who knows when it could be.

The distributor in the posted link is the way to go. I have a friend that has installed many with no problems. On my wish/need list.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.