GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default ---> mod bug inside <---

Hey guys.

I recently inherited a 1997 1500 4x4 Suburban with the 5.7L engine.

I have been a VW guy for quite some time and wanted to see how the mods align/differ between the Turbo tinys and the Big brute.

OK, ina VW, mods usually go like this :Chip, xhaust, suspension, intake, bigger turbo.

my question is, in a Suburban, will the air intake/exhuast free up the fuel mileage like it does in the small car? My MPG went from 30-35 when I swapped out to a less restrictive exhuast in the GTI. If I could get 3-4 MPG out of the Suburban, that would be awesome.

Have you guys seen any improved mileage from aftermarket parts, or does it just give more power?

Also, while I am here.... What should I change immediately on a truck with 100K and dubious maintenance? Fuel Filter, Trans fluid, etc...?
    Josh

2001 VW GTI 1.8T
    2005 VW Passat 1.8T - soon to be gone but not forgotten
    1997 Chevy Suburban 1500 5.7L - What have I gotten myself into?!?

Are you asking for budget reasons or did you have something else in mind? There are TONS of mods for the 5.7 Chevy, probably more than any other engine on the market to be honest, that's what it seems like at least.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

my question to you would be what is youe vehicle plan sheet look like? do not have one? make one. there is too many different ways to go and each will help a diffferent task. are you going to show? tow? cruse? or mall drive? just like your "Bug" you do not just toss money and expect good to happen. you need a build or plan sheet...........mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Quote Originally Posted by collinsperformance View Post
    my question to you would be what is youe vehicle plan sheet look like? do not have one? make one. there is too many different ways to go and each will help a diffferent task. are you going to show? tow? cruse? or mall drive? just like your "Bug" you do not just toss money and expect good to happen. you need a build or plan sheet...........mike

Good point. Sorry, I left my mind reader turned off.....

My goal is to just have a daily drive that gets good mileage() and is durable. My experience has been that letting it breathe easier lets in more power and mileage, but that may just be a turbo-specific issue. Basically, I won't make any performance mods that will sacrifice fuel effeciency, but usually with a (again VW) chip your mileage goes up a bit in just commuter traffic, the mileage sink is when you find those extra ponies living at the high altitude area in the tach.

I know the 350 is THE generic V8 with more parts options than you could ever imagine, and I like that about it, because it would make it cheaper to fix/upgrade in theory.

Another question, is a 97 OBD1 or OBD2? I have a VAG-COM for OBD2, and I think I can use it on GM cars as well if itsa OBD2.

Thanks for the quick replies.
    Josh

2001 VW GTI 1.8T

Welcome to the site,

97 Suburban has OBDII but you can't read it with a VAG reader because VAG uses other software for OBDII
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

ok- with the plan you put above.....i say shorty headers, better flowing muffler (depending on the sound you like...Flow Master or Delt Flows) a K&N drop in replacement filter, a good tune-up, better coil and wires, a Tarus elec fan swap and a little taller tire and rim combo would wake her up nice..........and not hurt the pocket book too much......mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Thanks for the responses guys. At least I know my OBDII port will work, now to comandeer some GM software

So Michael, are you saying the chip isnt worth it? I should just do boltons.

If I swap exhaust, I won't want it much louder than stock, what do you guys recommend?
    Josh

2001 VW GTI 1.8T

Jr. Engineer

Default obd 2 software

If you are interested in OBD2 software, you can go to www.PFYC.com and get an OBD2 kit that you can hook up to you laptop and do custom tuning if you like....

its pretty powerful too for the price, I used it on my 98 GTP for years and got great results from waht I learned

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"