GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default are programmers a personal preference or is there really a diff.

im in the market for a programmer for my 06 silverado 5.3L. there are a lot of different ones out there but my questions are....are they really worth the money, are there really any differences between the diff. manufactures. i see that quite a few people go with the diablo predator....is there a reason for that or is that just preference.....does the predator read trouble codes i cant find anything on the readings of it that says it does....i read the trinity does....what are your thoughts on the different programmers on the market....opinions and experiences are appreciated..

thanks

gary

What are you looking for? Handheld programmers are great for folks who want to maybe get some better gas mileage or maybe unlock a few extra horses and are planning minimal performance mods or non at at all.

You may want to look at sites like performance4me and blackbearperformance etc...there are others and you will get a lot of informantion on which is better from others here who have had the trucks tuned by the tuner of their preference.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

for now im looking for better mpg with a few ponies as well as shift firmness and points and whatever else i can get out of it.....right now im just looking to do basic mods i.e intake full exhaust/headers, programmer, and eventually put a cam throttle body intake and supercharge someday. i know when i do all of those more major mods ill have to have it custom tuned.

The Diablo Preditor or Trinity runs circles around the other programmers. Has better tunes and more adjustments that YOU can make. Lets you adjust the LongTermFuelTrims. This makes a big differance on how the truck runs, better throttle response, overall performance and mpg's.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

the stuff i have read about the predator and the trinity didnt seem like the was a whole lot different between the two...i mean there are difference but to enough to really pay the extra 300 plus dollars more for the trinity...the trinity has the code reader in it as the predator does not...

The Preditor does have a code reader and you can erase codes. You can also turn off the pain in the ass emission codes. The newer Preditors and Trinity let you data log so if you make mods (cams heads etc.) you can get a custom tune via a Diablo custom tune dealer. The Trinity can do more data logging but the adjustment you can make are about the same. The Trinty has alot more displays that you can use/play with. I've had my Preditor for 5 years, I like it and have learned to tune with it, but when I have a extra $599.00 I will get a Trinity.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Legend
    Blog Entries

Something I've learned Schultzie is that if you don't buy the best one first, you'll end up wishing you had, or end up buying it later after you've already spent $$ for the original one you bought. It comes down to "spend a lot now", or "spend a lot more later" & it doesn't just apply to programmers, but computers, Tvs, wheels, tires, lifts, etc
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Exactly thats a perfect point Stephan. I think i'm gonna go with the Black Bear Custom Tune sometime in a year or so after i get all the mod's i wanna do so i don't have to go back and fourth updating things to get full potential. I mean the price of $549 for the Autocal and you also get to keep the autocal hardware really and truly your not spending much more than the regular tuners online that's why i'm gonna go for somethin maybe a $bill higher but in the long run welllll worth it!

2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
    7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
    RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
    Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
    N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
    5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
    AVS Smoked Window Visors
    Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
    Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
    XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
    Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
    Power Acoustic Tweeters
    Painted Bowties / Color Matched
    Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
    Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
    Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
    Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
    Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
    K&N Air Filter
    18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
    Center Caps / Color Matched
    33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    New Front Wheel Well Liners
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
    Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
    Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
    Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
    Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
    AMI Gloss Black Antenna
    Debadged Chrome Lettering
    Door Molding Removed

id get a "tune" not a programmer i have a super chips. its a good programmer but my tune smokes it... if you must have a programmer tho i got a flashpaq super chips ill sell for $200.00 buck? pm me if your intrested. if not id deff get a tune from nelsons or blackbear
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ya thats true. i might just wait and do what i am gonna do to the truck then get a tune but who knows i can get impulsive sometimes when i want something. i got some thinking to do but if eventually i get the tune ill prob go to blackbear they are close to me only 2 hr away. thanks for the info guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast