GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Slack in transmission

Sorry if this is a post of an already submitted question... just running out the door for Fathers Day and not having a lot of time to do searches...

My 1992 Silverado (5.7 liter) automatic transmission has some slack in the transmission between acceleration and coast and is quite evident when stopping and starting (intersections, stop lights). It seems the universal joints in the driveshaft are tight and showing no evidence of excessive wear. What are the possible causes of this? Transmission or rear ring and pinion gearing?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Philip

Welcome to the club, Philip. Is your truck 2wd or 4x4 and 1500 or 2500?
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

Could be a worn carrier. My 96 Tahoe with the G80 is pretty sloppy. With the park brake set, and the trans in neutral, how much can you twist the rear driveshaft?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

It's a 2wd 1500 truck.

I haven't tried it just yet with the trans in neutral. I last hand tested it with it in gear and it didn't seem like there was any slop then (was primarily checking for worn universal joints in the shaft). I'll re-check to see if there is a lot of slop with the trans in neutral.

My 1992 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) had a similar problem before I replaced the transfer case slip yoke with a CV style shaft and new custom CV drive shaft (needed once I lifted it for 35" tires). It was most likely a combination of slop in the transfer case shaft and old slip yoke drive shaft.

In this case, it's a 2wd, so no transfer case in the mix. Just the trannie, drive shaft and R&P gears (which there shouldn't be any slop in the ring and pinion, right?).

If there ends up being a lot of slop with the trans in neutral, and it appears to be in the trans, what are the indications there? Leave it be, or is it about to grenade on me at the most inconvenient time (and thus better to fix it now before it decides to btfu)?

I have a '08 1500 4wd and have similar problems. I'm getting ready to take to the dealership hoping the powertrain warranty will cover it. I just hope they don't try to tell me that it's 'normal' or a 'characteristic' of the '08 models. I've tried to spin the drive shaft with my hands as well and there is no slack that I can notice. But when I'm driving, there is definitely some slack somewhere. Very evident between coasting and accelerating and when shifting between drive and reverse (like when backing up into a parking spot). Good luck with yours.

I am glad to hear that you are planning to work with your local dealership regarding your concern. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

My '93 Sub (2WD) had the same symptoms. I found posts here that gave many feasible explanations but none of them corrected my problem. Then one day when backing out of the garage there was a loud bang and the trans bought the farm. $1700 later with a rebuilt transmission, my driveline slop is gone! I'm just sayin'............
    Lee

1993 GMC Suburban C1500 (my cream puff)
    2003 S10 Blazer 4x4 auto (the wife's wheels)
    :sign0016:

Well - still living with this situation. I did finally crawl under the truck with it in neutral and the parking brake off (in a place where it wouldn't roll down hill and with the wheels chok'd). The drive shaft has maybe a 10 degree turn of slack in it before the R&P gear engages in the rear. Not nearly enough to explain the amount of slack that is felt between stopping and starting. So I have a feeling its within the transmission (as Lee's Suburban has given testimony to). So most likely I'll just deal with it until it gives up the ghost. Just hoping I'm not too far from the house when it decides to BTFU.

Check your U-Joints. That's most likely area to have the slack.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension